In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cap and ball load question

travlin-mantravlin-man Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
whats a safe load to use in a cva 44 replica revolver with a brass frame?

any help greatly appreciated.

email dbcheek@webtv.net

Comments

• amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by travlin-man
    whats a safe load to use in a cva 44 replica revolver with a brass frame?

any help greatly appreciated.

email dbcheek@webtv.net

30 grains of any of the various black powders and substitutes ought to be just fine. Most people use anywhere from 20 to 40 grains with 40 being rather high end for a load. I use 30.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25 grains seems about right. You might want to go a little lighter than that to avoid stressing your brass frame. They tend to stretch over time with standard .44 loads. In my steel frame 1860, 40 grains is right at the limit of chamber capacity - you actually have to muscle the ball to seat it flush with the chamber mouth. In a steel frame, 28 grains is pretty much standard (according to the reference section in the back of the Dixie Gun Works catalog).
  • travlin-mantravlin-man Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input everybody

tm
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a brass fram 44 to hunt Javelina. Load is 35gr FFFG and an over powder dry lubed wad and a round ball - 30 gr to punch paper. Been doing it for years must have thousands of rounds through this gun by now. I also have a brass 36 -- same kind of load with 25gr FFFG Ball completely pass through Javelena.
  • DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAVLIN-MAN, Have you traveled to the EAST yet?