In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Over-powder wads

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
Can anyone relate their experience with over-powder wads for black powder rifle cartridges like the .45-70? Are they helpful, or are they necessary? What wads do you use if any? And, where do you buy them?

Comments

• Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    I see no purpose for wads in shell ammo. At least in BP.
    Over powder cards ARE used in shot guns. (powder, wad, shot, card)
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found when loading BP ammo for my .45/110 Sharps that I got the best results with the following:
    -A drop tube for the powder measure. It lets the powder settle more compactly in the case than it would if the powder were dumped from the measure directly.
    -Compressing the powder prior to seating the bullet.
    -A piece of waxed paper over the powder to prevent lube contamination of the charge. Some reloaders use a wad punched from a waxed milk carton for this.
    -A disc of lubricant under the bullet to keep fouling soft.
    -A well-lubed bullet, lightly crimped.
    Loading good black powder cartridges is a whole different ball game than loading smokeless. Paul Matthews has written several short books on BP cartridge loading. They'd be excellent sources for answers to any further questions you might have.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a variation of Surbat's method: I put a card wad over the powder, then a lube wad (if used) and then a wax paper wad over that to prevent lube or card from sticking to the bullet base. Emery