In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossed cowboy shooting off my list...Sadly!

HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
No disrespect to all of you cowboy action shooters. I checked out a local SASS range, store fronts and all, and met some friendly folk, but.....

They really need to come up with a one gun event for newbies. It is unreasonable to expect an entry level participant to come up with two revolvers, a lever action rifle, and period shotgun JUST to get started.

I KNOW, I KNOW - you can borrow guns but that is something I am funny about, so I guess it is my problem. I admit that.

Like I said, NO disrespect intended.

Maybe the powers that be in the sport will someday come up with a one gun novice cowboy revolver shoot or something. I think it would attract a lot of folk like me. You know, get your feet wet, start slow, and grow!

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure how big your club is, but the event that I went to last month (a regional event) included long distance rifle, derringer, and quick draw categories. Not sure what all the details are to these categories, but perhaps you can find a club that would let you "specialize"?

Otherwise, I agree that it is tough starting out. My wife and I will be attending our second event this weekend, and we only own one lever action rifle. However, all the folks we have met so far have been real supportive and have offered to share guns. In fact a few have recommended NOT buying guns for a while until we know just what we want.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you. [:(]
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a long time,,seven years,sass shooter,I got burned out by the folks who insist on FANCY duds and no common sense..Want to WIN?? Just start ANOTHER class and if'n you are the onliest one in it you'll win fer sure..At least in your own group..Plus the speed is depressing..I shoot for FUN,,can't see working up a sweat trying to beat guys and gals forty years my junior..You wait an hour and a half between shooting and they expect you to shoot within two minutes..FUN ?? Not likely..Rather than pi**ing them off I decided to hang up my compitition guns and relax..I do miss the good folks who,like me,didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on costumes but rather shot for the fun and cared not for GLORY..Some of them still shoot but they are becomming RARE..Good luck to those who have survived..I will state one LARGE FACT..If ever you need HELP with gang warfare,get yourself SASS shooters..They can lay down the lead in a fast hurry..modoc
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can undersand about the single gun for newbies. I just started and am stagered by the things I still need. I think if enough people ask and push for it there will be a one or two gun events. I am guessing you mean, using one handgun or rifle. This, even myself as a new shooter, seem possable however like I stated before a two gun event sound more possable. The there are three that come to mind: handgun and rifle, handgun and shotgun, and shotgun and rifle. This would be only one hand gun on the person and posably reloads included in the stage. The more I think about it the more I like it. I don't have any pull in this area but the word keeps being spread somthing is bound to happen.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    See if there is an NCOWS posse in your area. They have a class called Working Cowboy that uses just one pistol and a lever action rifle. Scenarios are the same, just eliminate the second pistol and shotgun. It's a great entry level class and many long time shooters are switching to it, sick of hauling around a guncart full of guns and ammo.
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Understand your relunctance to borrow/use someone else's guns... Keep pushing for the one pistol, one rifle stages... and/or a pistol with reload stage...
    SASS folks are great people for the most part, some gamers in all shooting sports...
    I ain't fast, I shoot for the shear fun of it, and enjoy myself... so does the wife...
    Also, was an excuse to buy more guns... can never have enough..
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife and I attended our second event today, our first real shooting match. I can really understand all of your criticisms just a bit more now.

First of all, as a new shooter, I was very overwhelmed. After the match was over (we shot 5 stages) I was exhausted and stressed. Apparently there was an extra rush today to get done early before the heat set in. Also they were putting out some rather complicated stages that even the veterans were grumbling about. Unfortunately, there were about 5 different shooters giving me "advice" (most of it conflicting), plus the R.O. barking at everyone to hurry up, etc. In hindsight it would have been nice to have ONE veteran shooter assigned to help me out. Nothing I hate worse than to be told to do something one way then have somebody else come over and tell me how I did it all wrong.

Second, I'm with you Hokkmike on the share guns thing. At first I thought it would be no problem, try out different guns and all, but it just turned out to be a fiasco. I showed up with my one lever rifle and immediately I was swamped with folks that were piling leathers and guns on me. I was much appreciative, but I couldn't keep straight who had given me what, and of course the big problem was that they each had "special" instructions about how to use their precious firearm. The fellow that let me borrow his pistols had his certain special reload ammo that could only be used in them. Sure made the loading table a hassle lugging around two ammo cans, one for his special pistol ammo and one for my regular rifle ammo.

Third, although the folks were very gracious and generous, at times they got a bit TOO comfortable. For example, I had my rifle jam on the first stage, so I had to clear the stage to take care of my jam. But before I know it, a fellow has my rifle on the unloading table, with the buttstock removed, proceeding to unscrew the magazine stopper, the hammer and trigger mechanism, etc. Now I've cleared jams on that gun quite a bit, even replaced the carrier on my own, and I know for a fact that removing two screws (the lever and the carrier) will clear just about any jam. Instead this gentlemen proceeds to disassemble my rifle without consulting me whatsoever or even asking my permission. When I began to object I was met with remarks from other shooters saying, "oh, don't worry, he is a gunsmith". Apparently if you have a SASS number in the hundreds then you can do whatever you want to whomever's guns at a CAS event. I was about to grab the pieces of my rifle off the table, head to my truck, and forget CAS forever.

But I cooled off and the rest of the day went better. I have to say that there are some yahoos (or is it yayhoos?) at these events. Most folks are pretty nice, but occassionally you run into one of THOSE folks, you know the same kind of guys that sit around a gun shop all day, wearing three guns at the hip, turning every conversation into a pissing contest. Those are the types of gun shops that I just turn right around and walk out of, and I felt some of that today out on that CAS range.

My wife enjoyed the experience, but I was honestly a bit aggravated. Not relaxing or enjoyable shooting by any means. But I want to give it a fair shake, so I promised my wife I would give it a year.

-Wolf
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is exactly what has me still pondering getting involved in cowboy action shooting. There should be some type of an entry(1 or 2 gun)class. I enjoyed the event I went to, but it will be awhile before I can come up with the money for everything I will need. Its still in my plans but my distant ones
  • Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are actually no prohibitions against using one handgun and reloading on the clock. Just as there is no rule stating you must shoot a double-barrel or '97 pump shotgun.

In fact, I know a fella' who came to matches for over a year and shot one 357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk ($175 at a pawn shop...it was ugly but functional), an NEF 20 gauge shotgun with the automatic ejector disabled (around $100 brand new), and a Rossi 92 357 Mag carbine ($275 at a gun show). His leather was bought from pawn shop and gun show used leather bins and cost about $30. He took an old pair of his Wrangler jeans, carefully removed the belt loops, put two bucks worth of "bachelor buttons" on for suspenders, and bought a pair of galluses (suspenders) from the Salvation Army for a buck. At the same place, he got a couple button-up cotton workshirts for a dollar each. His hat was a nice palm leaf job ($20 new), and his boots were Ariat lace-up ropers. They were fairly spendy at $100, but they lasted him over two years and he wore them every day.

So CAS can be enjoyed on the cheap within the existing rules. No, you won't win any matches, but -not to put too fine a point on it- newbies aren't generally in contention anyway, so that argument isn't a strong one. The main reason they don't create a single gun category is the difficulty with creating scenarios that will work with existing setups and then keeping the timing and scoring seperate. Just remember that everyone who sets up steel, writes stages, times the shooters, and tallies scores is a volunteer. Asking them to create a "match within a match" for the very few who don't want to make a fullscale committment to the sport from the get-go is asking a lot.

[:D]
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AGAIN! and I REPEAT...NCOWS has a one pistol, one rifle class. It is no hassel at all for scoring or scenarios. I wouldn't want to shoot with a posse like you descibe either, fortunately I've never encountered one. One of our mid-west shooters went out to Arizona on vacation and shot at a club shoot there, and eperianced much of what you describe, so maybe it's a left coast thing.
    More than half the shooters at our National Shoot this year shot the Working Cowboy Class. Give us a look at www.ncows.com
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone who reads this forum should re-read Noah Mercy's post. He says it all. I say it a bit different, if you can't afford to buy what is required, be a spectator until you can. Don't expect a group of people to stop what they do and how they do it, just to accomidate you. I've found most of the people who shoot CAS will bend over back wards to help new comers, when the new comer has the right attitude. Don't expect to make changes until you have time and money invested. NR