In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAS Shotguns

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Opinions, please...

I am especially interested in "dual-use" guns, for example a shotgun you could use for trap or skeet but would still be CAS legal.

Also, any opinions on the Norinco repros of the Win 1897? Quality? Reliability?

Thanks!
-Wolf

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the requirements (stock dimensions, barrel length and choke) for trap, skeet and CAS are somewhat different, you may be looking at at least two guns.
    First, the CAS gun is pretty much limited to a SxS double or a M97 (I believe the 1887/1901-type Winchester is also legal, but it's not commonly encountered). A field-grade SxS would do nicely and, with fairly open chokes, should also be acceptable for skeet.
    A trap gun requires either a straighter stock or a high comb to compensate for the rising trap targets, and a tight choke for good pattern density at longer ranges. This configuration is not as good for CAS and is a real liability at skeet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After some research, I'm kinda liking the Remington (Spartan) SxS 12ga 28" SPR220:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR220_side-by-side_specs.asp

Anybody used one of these? Any opinions?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of them in use, most from back when EAA imported them from Baikal.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you choose a double,it must have extractors,not ejectors.Not functional ejectors anyway.
    There are lots and lots of Norincos in use,and they've improved a lot over the years.Using them a lot helps as much as anything,most now shotguns are stiff, out of the box.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So anyone know if the Remington Spartan SPR220 (non-cowboy version) has ejectors or not? Is it CAS/SASS legal?
  • Options
    oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were seriously looking at buying a new gun, I would download the owner manual before hand to answer any questions I might have. I downloaded the manual from the link provided and now know if it has extractors or ejectors. Not trying to be a smart a*s here but to me this would have been a logical step. Have a great day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good idea, oldfriends. I shall check it out. However, being the owner of many different firearms, I know that you can't always trust the manual. They often are written generically to cover several different models or variations of the firearm. Given that this specific shotgun does have a "cowboy" version that is SASS compliant, the question is whether this applies to all versions of the shotgun. It sounds as if you found the answer in the manual, which is great. Kudos to Remington for being complete and through in their documentation.

In general, I prefer to also confirm what I hear or read with first-hand accounts from those who have actually handled and used the firearm. Thanks for your input.

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For the record, the manual only refers to extractors, not ejectors. For unloading it does recommend removing the shells by hand. So this would lead me to believe that these guns are indeed SASS compliant.

If anybody who has handled a Spartan 210 or 220 could confirm this then I would appreciate it.

-Wolf
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot some sporting clays with my Baikal Bounty Hunter II, its fun once in a while, but don't recommend it.
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington Sparten that works well for CAS. But, before you use it, borrow a chamber hone and hone the chambers. You've honed enough when you can fire two shots, open the chamber and by moving the gun forward in a jerking motion, have the two empty cases fall out. These guns have extractors not ejectors so you need some means of removing the spent cases in a hurry. The short barrels on these shot guns don't work well for shooting sporting clays even though they have choke tubes, because with sporting clays you will encounter some long shots that are better made with a longer barrel. Even skeet guns usually have at least a 26" barrel. On the other hand, fun is fun, give it a try, but you will do better with a shotgun with longer barrels, say around 28" or 30". I've shot clays for years, no one gets 100% of the birds no matter what they shoot. Stay away from pump guns if you are going to shoot clays, they're just too slow unless you are really good.

NR
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention I use over/unders for shooting sporting clays. Auto loaders work well too, but you have to pick your empty cases up with them. I have a short barreled over/under, wish I could use it in CAS, but if I tried I would get funny looks if not worse. NR