In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to Group

SouthronSouthron Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I am past retirement age but still going.... I have done many things with life and enjoy all our children (6), grand children(9), and great grandchildren (5) but I really like fishing, hunting and guns. I live in rural Georgia, born and raised country style though I did my time in DC, self educated professional. Now, guns... life is best with a collection large enough to call a cache. I've been collecting all my life. I never figured out what one person could want with so many guns. I just ordered myself a cap and ball revolver for the fun of it then came here to check things out. I wanted to shoot something that is different from everything else I have. I will be lurking and reading to glean information. As a newbie I still don't know what accessories are appropriate or required for this type of shooting and I can tell I have some to learn. Looking forward to new experiences.[/font=Georgia][/i][/size=3]

Comments

• Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to this part of gunbroker... To shoot cowboy action one needs a belt with holsters, two pistols/revolvers-single action variety .32 caliber up to .45LC. You'll need a pistol caliber rifle modeled from the late 1800's and a shotgun of the same vintage.
    For detailed info on shooting cowboy action, go to the SASSNET.com site and download their manual.....
    Also on that website, go to the clubs and look in Georgia, you'll find several clubs listed....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the lead but it looks as though the nearest thing is about a 2 hour plus ride from me. SASS looks intriguing though I am not interested in role playing, just a bit of out and out shooting a gun. There is a local range nearby and I have access to more than one law enforcement range. I can even fire a few rounds in my backyard.... New cap and ball should be in today and I will head to my local Smitty and get what I need to fire.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, I can only guess at type of gun you have, which I will guess a Colt type. If it is a Remington or a different gun of that type it doesn't mater they all do the same when it comes to loading. First, set a cap on each nipples and fire them off alowing any blockage to clear. You can also use a nipple pin (I think it is called) to do the same. Next, pour the powder into each chamber. Sence I don't know the callaber of your gun I can't advice you on the amount of powder, however the manual that came with you gun should give you that informaiton. If you don't have a manual check the maker of the gun's website the information should be there. Ok next, seat the ball on one of the chambers and ram it into place useing the raming tool on the gun. You'll know if your are using the right bullets if there is a ring of lead left around the entrance of the chamber. After seating all the bullets place grease or chistco a the end of the chamber. Note heavy felt paches can be used also instead of grease but they must me semi-lubercated. Lastly set the caps on the nipples and your ready to start firing. That is all you need to know to start your blackpowder experance. A word of advice it is VERY IMPORTAINT TO CLEAN YOUR GUN after your done shooting it. Blackpowder will eat way at your gun if you don't clean it. Enjoy this fun past time.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cap and ball pistols are a lot of fun. I have two of them.
    They are a mess to clean.

ps Where are you from in Georgia? I lived in Baldwin County for 20 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Coastal Georgia. Born and Bred in McIntoah County though I call about six surrounding counties home since I have property and interests in all of them. Thank God I'm a country boy! I'm still waiting on supplies before firing the thing. Thanks to all for the advice, etc. As I said the anticipation is part of it...

CM