In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Now your talkin' partner!

guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
Now this will be fun. Anybody else do the mounted cowboy shooting thing? We are just now looking into it. We have a group of three riders. I wonder what my horse thinks about it??? Maybe I should ask her!! LOL! She's a mare and we all know how they (females) can be. Nice addition to the fourms!

Thanks.

Got Guns?

Comments

• Options
    mp5shootermp5shooter Member Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have been doing cowboy action shooting for about 4 years now. it is great?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Standing in a horse Pasture and shooting bowling pins and bump firing your AR's and AK's ain't the kind of shooting were talkin' here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    Standing in a horse Pasture and shooting bowling pins and bump firing your AR's and AK's ain't the kind of shooting were talkin' here. Sounds like you're describing "Drive-bys 101".
    Where do the horses come in? I thought CAS was shooting shot gun, six-shooter and lever action rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dolfan, it is. But I was talking about cowboy mounted shooting. Ride your horse thru course and shoot twelve ballons with two pistols. It's tough but fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guns i don't think you even know how to ride a horse or shoot a gun. i think you yankin my chain
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mounted shooting is a part of the cowboy action scene.....a VERY EZPENSIVE part of it.whooee.I can't imagine what those Pards spend on gear,feed,and fuel.
    However,they shoot blanks,which is a good thing considering the onlookers and such.:)
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I have wanted to shoot off my horse for years. But remember being told that you can shoot off any horse "one time". Any links to articles on how to gun train the horse so as not to have a wreck?
  • Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    Dolfan, it is. But I was talking about cowboy mounted shooting. Ride your horse thru course and shoot twelve ballons with two pistols. It's tough but fun.

How long does it take before you notice your horse going deaf?
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:How long does it take before you notice your horse going deaf?

Huh? I'm sorry, what was that you said? [:D][;)][8D][:D][:p]

Big Al (sorry, amsptcds, but I just couldn't resist that one! )
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigal125
    quote:How long does it take before you notice your horse going deaf?

Huh? I'm sorry, what was that you said? [:D][;)][8D][:D][:p]

Big Al (sorry, amsptcds, but I just couldn't resist that one! )

I thought it was funny myself... hehe

I have a 10% from all that artillery and rifle fire myself.
    I was wondering about those 4 footed folk. First they have to get used to it. But it should take a long time and a lot of rounds to affect their hearing permanently.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trust me, if there's anything my horses are used to, it's gunfire. MP5shooter was up here yesterday shooting his 45-70 and the horses didn't even look at him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trust me, if there's anything my horses are used to, it's gunfire. MP5shooter was up here yesterday shooting his 45-70 and the horses didn't even look at him.

That's cool. I wasn't coming at it from a "save the whales" sort of position, I was just wondering.

(bet them horses can't hear it any more...)
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

They actually make ear plugs for horses. I would not shoot off of my horse without putting something in his ears, cotton balls maybe, until I could get some plugs.

Bode
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    There is a show called "Cowboy" that deals with training to shoot over a horse.
    It's on now.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "guns-n-painthorses"[:)]

"Winston Bode" has it correct. They make special "ear-plugs" that go inside of the horses's ears. I suggest that you get your horse use to them by putting them in when you feed the horse and then take then out when the horse is through eating. All of ours are fed in stalls, so puting in the ear-plugs or doing anything necessary is not a problem.

If you happen to run across a "Frezzian" or a "Black-phase" Belgian that I can afford, PLEASE let me know, I would prefer a bred mare. I am not exactly a little guy --- they are not fast but the whole world could come to an end and they wouldn't know it for a week. Built like a tank and nothing bothers them.

May I also suggest cross-draw rigs. You are going to find that trying to pull the pistol out from "strong-side" is going to be a pain in the behind, at least when you are riding a horse.

Best Regards:[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter[:)]
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plains scout has it right. I tried it once about 50 some years ago. Was in the badlands of ND, and rifle was 25-20. Horse was not tolerant to say the least.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Hey Geri -- What part of the badlands. SD or ND?

And --

quote: There is a show called "Cowboy" that deals with training to shoot over a horse.
    It's on now.

What channel so I can try to catch a rerun.
  • Options
    SouthronSouthron Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Animals are a lotlike humans. Some are just gunshy from the start others are never minds. It's all what you make it. Don't make an issue of it and try a nearby shot to see how they take to it. Get closer until they never mind. I never had a problem with any of my horses. One in particular was very accomodating and would stand rock solid before and after the shot!

CM