In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Traditions Inline blow up

shelbyspikeshelbyspike Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Went out to sight in my new Traditions Premeir inline and blew up the barrel. Cleaned the rifle and seasoned the bore. Put a cleaning patch down after everyshot, every 3 pulled the breach plug and gave it a good cleaning. On the 8th shot the barrel peeled back 8 inchs. I was using two 50gr pyrodex pellets with a 405gr powerbelt bullet. Sent it back and was told it was from an obstructed barrel. No Way. They said the barrel blew right where a bullet would be if someone used a starter and didn't finish. I didn't use a starter and have my ramrod marked so I now it's packed right. What I had and they don't agree, was a rough/narrow spot in the barrel right where they say the obstruction was. I had problems getting bullets past that point. Should have sent it back first time I loaded it. Very bad customer service/warranty dept. Rude and won't listen. Won't send my rifle back until I pay them 100.00$ for a new barrel (half price). Thought about putting a green mountain barrel on it but can't until I pay them for the new barrel. Anyone else have something like this happen?

Comments

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd tell them to take their barrel off my rifle and return the gun, minus their barrel, to me. Then I'd buy that Green Mountain barrel that you're thinking about.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Did you borelight that barrel and verify that there was a problem?

Thats a scary situation. I have not shot my Hawkin yet and will check that barrel very carefully first.

Sig232
  • Options
    frontier ganderfrontier gander Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No wonder you blew the barrel! If you would have read the manual it would tell you that you should fire 100 grains of pyrodex and a bullet No more than 250 grains!
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds to me like he DID fire 100 grains of Pyro...
    2x50=100,no?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "a bullet No more than 250 grains!"

If that is what the manual says, shooting a 405 grain with max powder load would be a big no-no.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping nobody got hurt. I just wish we had a pic of that barrel peeled back!

Sounds like a combo of slightly tight bore and too much load. Anybody know if the manufacturer makes any squeeze bore
    barrels like on a Python?

They probably don't want to send it back w/o a new barrel for liability reasons. They're probably not listening to you because they've seen the exact same thing from the starter-placed bullet more than a few times. If it was me, I'd pay the money for the new factory barrel and chaulk it up to experience.