In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new to muzzleloading

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
I have just bought a replacia 1863 Remington Zouave from GB. It was my poot luck that the rifle did not come with an instuction booklet.
What I need to know is what equipment I need to get, what powder & primer to use and what shot to use? The rifle did come with a really cheap and cheeze powder flasj made from what I think my be brass.

T.I.A.

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey guys, im new to the sport and hoping you guys can throw some info in my direction. i guess im looking for do's, dont's, maybe what 'loads' you have used...which you believe work good (deer, elk, etc), bullets, cleaners, etc etc ive never shot one and im getting pretty dang anxious to hit the range...so anything you can offer up would be great!

if it matters, its a knight revolution II.

many thanks.

scott
  • Options
    realtree2realtree2 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your time. Learn your gun inside and out, and then experiment with different powders/pellets, primers and bullets until you find what works for you.

I have a traditional .50cal but I use Clean Shot black powder substitute and a ~350 grain remington bullet for hunting and a .490 round ball for my competitions. The Clean Shot is fantastic, I can literally shoot all day without having to clean the barrel.
  • Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and welcome to the wanders world of muzzle loading I hope you stay with it until you love it as I do. Start off slow shoot a lot. A smoke pole is slow. A bullet or round ball doesn't go as fast down the barrel of a muzzleloader 850 to 1250 fps. A 30-06 1850-4000-fps'so practices. Practice keeping your sights aligned until the gun kicks you. Now this sound funny but most often people start moving the gun as they pull the trigger. Oh did I say Keep shooting Practice, Practice, Practice
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot and hunt with a CVA Optima. I've found that 100gr powder Pyrodex RS behind a 240gr Hornady XTP groups well at 100yds, close to 2".

When sighting it, it will be time consuming, but clean, clean, clean your barrel after each shot. Your first shot out in the field will be through a clean barrel, you want to get as close to the real thing as possible when sighting in. BP leaves quite a residue on your bore, affecting velocity and accuracy.

Good luck.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a couple, one a Santa Fe Hawken, the other a TC Black Diamond. I suggest Sam Fadala's book on BP shooting as an introduction and to get you past the "What is a ramrod for?" stage.

http://tinyurl.com/nbbll