In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2 ML questions....

remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
First of all, what would be a good choice for a starting ml? i'm looking at either the Knight Revelotion or TC omega....

Second of all, when measuring loose bp substitute, like pyrodex triple 7 or the like is it measured in volume or by weight like smokeless? In other words the measuring tool you buy in the ml section at your local store is metered out in corresponding gr's of bp correct?

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Options
    mcgiivermcgiiver Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black powder measures work by volume, not weight. Substitute powders are usually measured by volume using the same measures as for black. Since many substitute powders are less dense than black powder, measuring using the same weight as black would result in an overcharge.

I never liked the Knight rifles initially because of the screw safety on the bolt which I believe has caused many game animals to live another day due the failure to release the safety. I also don't like rifles that need a carrier for the primer such as the Knight Discs.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using a T/C Omega 50 for a few years. It is one sweet BP shooter. Being a modern in-line it is pretty much fool-proof and an all-weather shooter.

I use the BP substitutes and find that they work great and I load as directed. I probably need to experiment a bit more to find THE best load.

Just for fun, I am going to be getting a more primitive Muzzle loader to see how that works for the range and BP shoots. But for hunting, I'm going to stick with my T/C Omega 50.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well with the limited time before ML season comes in here in va i made a decision, i went with a traditions pursuit xlt, camo thumb hole stock nickel barrel, ported with a 2x7 scope. It's a break up style with the 209 primer, only cost 299, i guess it was an ok price, for my first ML and not alot of time left before season comes in i figured i'd try this one out and if i dont like it i can always upgrade for next season.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pyrodex and most other BP subs are about the same power, volume for volume, as black powder.
    Triple 7 is about 15 per cent more powerful.
    Some guys do weigh charges for muzzleloaders, but it is not necessary.
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your state allows the use of smokeless powder in a muzzleloader, the Savage 10ML can't be beat. Getting away from that whole constant cleaning & swabbing makes muzzleloader so much more fun........
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, then, others would say that the constant cleaning, tweaking and messing around is the mystique of black powder and muzzle loaders![:D] Looks like we enjoy it for different reasons!