In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rookie needs help with omega

bigge8882bigge8882 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Im new to muzzleloading, I just bought t/c omega i shot it 15 times over the weekend. I sighted the simmons 3-9x32 scope in at 100 yards got 3 1/2 inch groups using 240 grain xtp mags and 2 777 pellets. I see most deer at around 25-50 yards but my buddy says I should be getting tighter groups. Has anyone else used simmons 3-9x32 on inline muzzleloaders? I got it at wally world to get me by this season and maybe upgrade next year. It is actually made for t/c omegas. Is the scope or the load causing me problems? any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be getting a lot better accuracy. Of course, your groups are fine for fifty yard shots.
    Most guys who want real good accuracy use powder, not pellets. It is possible that a gun that gets 3 inch groups with 100 gr. of pellets would get 2 inch groups with 90 gr. of powder. And, it could tighten up to 1 1/2 inch groups with 85 gr. One Omega will shoot differently from another Omega, you just have to experiment.
    I know a guy who shoots lots of deer with an Omega and his favorite load is 85 gr of 777 and the Barnes 245 gr. Spitfire.
    So, first I would buy powder and adjust the load DOWN, in five grain increments and see if you get an improvement.
    If you are still not happy, try the Barnes bullet.
    You didn't say what model scope you bought, sounds like the el cheapo. This is not necessarily the problem, you can get good groups with cheap scopes. But, most guys who are concerned with pinpoint accuracy are spending more money on the scope. You should check your scope mounting screws and make sure everything is tight. Then try adjusting the powder/bullet. I would upgrade scopes as a last resort.
    If you do go to a more expensive scope, the Bushnell 3200 is a lot of scope for the money. And the Bushnell 4200 is a great scope.
  • Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzle loading I hope you hang with it until you love it as much as I do. Most muzzle loaders weather riffle or pistol need a brake in time By shooting a couple rounds and cleaning the gun and shooting and cleaning some more can you find out the true potently of a muzzle loader. Keep it realistic 100 yards is a long way to be shooting at deer you should practice at 50 yards and practice your trigger control and your shooting form.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to add my welcome to the world of muzzle loading. I find it is a great crowd to be in and to learn from. I agree the T/C Omega 50 is one sweet gun. Clean up is not too bad either.

I'm not going to mess around with a scope ... 100 yards is far enough for me. And I'm still not settled on what to use for sabots but I kind of like the Triple 7 powder pellets. I forget is that what they are called?

I'd like to get in some more shooting before deer season this year. I hope to build a Hopkins & Allen Underhammer kit gun as my more traditional muzzle loader, but I'll probably stick with my T/C Omega 50 for hunting. The rate I'm going, it may be a winter project.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bigge8882:
    In the Cabelas catalog, the only Simmons 3-9x32 scope listed is for a .22 rifle.
    You didn't buy a scope for a .22 did you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    allen, It is a scope for a muzzleloader it was a little kit with the bases and the rings, it was supposed to be for an omega but the bases didnt work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AndersK what is an underhammer kit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that is what I am getting at. The bases for a .22 scope won't fit the muzzleloader.
    If you have gotten a .22 scope by mistake, you don't want to use it on the muzzleloader.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To find out about the Hopkins & Allen Underhammer log onto <www.muzzleloader.biz>

Bruce Lingenfelter (sp?) is theonly one who make replica kits of this very interesting cap lock muzzleloader. He's in Gig Harbor, WA.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    To find out about the Hopkins & Allen Underhammer log onto < www.muzzleloader.biz >

Bruce Lingenfelter (sp?) is theonly one who make replica kits of this very interesting cap lock muzzleloader. He's in Gig Harbor, WA.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the dark side.

Your Omega should be able to group better than that. Have you tried a rest? I can group 2.5" with my 50cal Optima off a front rest @ 100yds. I've tightened it up to 2" off a full rest. That was on a breezy day, I'm wondering if I can't get a little tighter on a calm day. I clean it between each shot, to maintain the barrel's consistancy with a first shot in the field. I shoot a saboted 45cal 240gr Hornaday XTP in front of 100gr of Pyrodex RS, yes the powder. I bought 2 lbs of it on sale once, I'm about 1/3rd the way through the second pound. I'll probably switch to pellets after I'm done with this pound.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.