In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shilo Sharps .45-110 "The Quigley"

brown3345brown3345 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
My father just gave me one of his rifles that he does not shoot anymore, It's a Shilo Sharps .45-110 Bullalo Rifle "The Quigley". Although I have a lot of experience with shooting and reloading, I know alomst nothing about Blackpowder cartridge guns. Does anyone have any advise on reloading with this type of gun?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Try the Shiloh Sharps forums - I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you. http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you intend to load those 2 7/8 inch cartridges with black powder, I suggest you read Loading the Black Powder Rifle Cartridge by Paul Matthews.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much, looks like an interesting rifle to shoot. He never got a chance to shoot it much due to his failing eyesight. Hopefully I can take him out to listen to it sound off like I think it will.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I know is, those guns go for about $1,600 in Cabelas.
    I wish your father would give me a rifle!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just went over to the Shilo Sharps website www.shilorifle.com and found that models base price starts at $2,953.00. He sold a couple shotguns, W W Greener's I think and bought this. As I recall he was on a very long waiting list to get it. I wish I never knew how much it cost, now I am afraid I might scratch it! But being as heavy as it is I don't think I will ever take it into the swamps Deer hunting.
  • Options
    darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a shilo "Quigley" they dont sell it at Cabela's they have pedorselis if you are going to shoot black powder you are going to have to spend time at the range to find the right combonation of bullet and wad to shoot accurately you want to make sure that when
    you seat the bullet that it COMPRESSES the powder

if you want to shoot smokless I shoot 44gr of 5744 with a 300gr gas check very accurate load. plan on using it for hunting next year (antelope)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just got an email from Shiloh. the gun was made in the late 70's and back then it was called the "Hartford". Learn something every day!
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine is waiting on one, he said $3600 if memory serves. He wanted to start w/ 45/70 and rechamber to 45/90 when he got used to reloading and shooting. Didn't make much sense to me.
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here.
    Now if he got a .45-70 and later bought another in .45-90, THAT I can understand!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, OK but why not just chamber for 45 x 3 1/4 and load down or up as needed or wanted?

That is my plan for the Spanish rolling block I'm working on.
    45-120.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will get better accuracy if you do not use the bullet to compress the powder. Use a separate compression die so you can seat the normal soft BP bullet gently; just hard enough to be sure it is against the over-powder wad, not hard enough to squash it out of shape.

There is some risk in rechambering a .45-70 to .45-90. If the reamers are not matched and perfectly aligned (or the -90 a little larger) you can be left with a ring in the chamber that will hamper extraction and accuracy.

Look twice before you chamber a rolling block to a 3.25" case. The cartridge has to go in over the block at a bit of an angle, the RB does not open 100% like a Sharps. Ken Waters found that the 2.75" .458 RCBS was the longest he could get in a Navy Arms R.B. and that required grinding the hammer nose on a bevel to clear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked, I will be able to chamber the 3 1/4 round with some grinding. Oddly, it will chamber in my NYS model without grinding.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Get the lyman die for their 535 gr Postell... It has won many matches...