In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAS questions

hart31hart31 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I'm thinking about trying CAS and hope to get to a couple of shoots this summer although with the price of gas and the nearest regular shoots being 200 miles away I'm not sure how often I'll get to go.

Is it allowable to use two different caliber revolvers? I have a Blackhawk 41 mag. I know that would limit me to the modern category and that caliber is not very popular, but there are lever action rifles available. I think I would like to find an 1875 Remington copy in 45LC as a second revolver. A pair of 1875's and a rifle in the same caliber would be nice but that is too much cash to spend at one time. (No money left for ammo[:D])

Is it allowable to use one cartridge revolver and one bp revolver?

Comments

• Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not aware of any requirement that guns be of the same caliber as long as they meet the minimum requirement.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no requirement that guns be of the same caliber. You could shoot three different calibers among two sixguns and a carbine. Common caliber for all is just a matter of convenience. I know one guy who has all guns the same caliber but keeps separate loads for each.
  • Options
    hart31hart31 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 guns, one cartridge, would be convenient but three different loads in the same caliber would be easy to mix up.

It's easy to see the advantages of matching revolvers from the point of shooting similarity,ie. same weight, similar recoil, similar grip and sight picture.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hart31,

Your are correct, a .41 mag. Blackhawk would put you in the modern categorie but it is an acceptable revolver and cartridge. The only drawback I have found is that my Marlin rifle will not feed semi-wadcutter bullets and finding flatnosed bullets in that caliber is not easy. I have yet to find a bullet mold or I would cast my own. Good luck and keep in mind this sport is addictive.

Bode
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to this forum, but definately not the CAS game!

That said, if it's within your budget, I would highly suggest you try to have your pistol and rifle calibers the same. It makes things much easier at the loading table, and will save a lot of time and expense if you decide to start loading your own. [;)]

These days, folks tend to lean towards .38 spec, just to keep costs and recoil down. Personally, I shoot 45's with a healthy dose of 777!

Good luck, and welcome to the game! [8D]
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to change the subject...but what is the usual distance to the target(s) for rifle, pistol & shotgun so a guy can get in some practice before going to a shoot?
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right out of the SASS Match Directors manual...

Pistol targets 7yds min...10yds max

Rifle targets 13yds min...50yds max

Shotgun targets 8yds min
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer the quesiton if you can use a bp an a cartridge, yes I have done it before. Also I am glad that you want to get into this sport or hobby, it is a lot of fun. If you want to start using bp a pair of Remington would work and you could put in a 45LC cyinder later on. Your best bet is to get a stainless one. Why might you ask? Stimple, they don't rust as easly. I own a blued one and am always fighting rust. True they will cost more but think again how much two blued ones will cost vs. one stainless. Also keep in mind that this is not a cheep hobby to start. It will cost around 3000 give or take after to take into account the guns, ammo, outfit, etc. You can fudge on certain things like gun cart but not all. An even better idea is to get a friend or family member to join up with you and pay half for everything. I hope this helps and I hope to see you on the range some day.
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx for the info R D.