In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bullet drop in 54 cal hawkin

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
I have a 54 cal t/c Hawkin Rifle shooting 90 grs of ffg with 235 gr buffalo bullet sabot. At 50 ydr's it shoots one inch high.I moved back to 70 yrds and it shot 3 inch's high does that seem right for it to shoot high moveing futher back from the target.

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know the ballistics, but to answer you in basic..Yes. That is normal. The bullet makes an arc, leaving the barrel it loops up, then back down. The actual curve depends on the bullet weight, length of barrel, amount of powder, etc. Maybe someone else will have the ballistics for your bullet weight and 90 grains.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would not be unusual to climb between 50 and 75 yards, but it should not climb 2 inches.
    I have the ballistics for the 240 XTP with 90 gr of Pyrodex. These ballistics will be very similar to your ballistics.
    This shows, at the muzzle .75 inches below the line of sight, at 50 yards 1.6 inches above, and at 100 yards dead on.
    I suggest you try some shots at 100 yards and see what it is doing. I suspect that you are sighted in about 5 inches high at 100, and if so, you need to adjust your sights. You need to be dead on at 100, or maybe 2 inches high, depending on how you want to sight in.