In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Encore in the rain

FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I will be hunting this weekend in Kansas. What do I need to do to protect it from rain...or should I not go?

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    if i hunt in really wet weather i just carry the rifle in a slip on case ,one that has a soft plastic or other repellent outer side , may be alittle slow getting into action but at least it keeps the gun dry
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, rain is not much of a problem with the Encore or the Omega ... from what I understand about them. My Omega is not bothered at all.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a big problem to most inlines I think. Those old exposed caps on the traditionals are a little bothersome, but they're worth it.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Encore 50 cal. and have hunted in the rain several times. No problems or misfires. I do try to keep my hand over the action or keep my jacket over it just to be on the safe side. Just clean it (dry it) real good after a soggy hunt and you should be fine.
  • Options
    joseph fanninjoseph fannin Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by FANNIN
    I will be hunting this weekend in Kansas. What do I need to do to protect it from rain...or should I not go?
    i own a encore and have never hade trouble in the rain. have hunted in the rain with other m/l guns and for the most part never had any problems. joe fannin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Go hunting, don't worry about it, shoot a deer, or whatever you're hunting. Good luck. The gun will be fine.
  • Options
    caplockcaplock Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    put scotch tape over the muzzle,I and a lot of my customers do this
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by caplock
    put scotch tape over the muzzle,I and a lot of my customers do this

I agree with this,or a condom.[:I]
  • Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one better for you . Cut the finger off a latex glove and place it over your muzzle ,a water tight seal is what you get . Try it and you will like it when you shoot it will blow of.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither, rain, sleet nor snow have affected my Omega 50. I can't say the same for myself, though.[:(]
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    black electrical tape across the muzzle works very well , if you leave the tape long enough down the side of the barrel you can just peel it loose after you shoot and reseal your muzzel witht he same piece of tape ,
    the air that is trapped between the tape and bullet with blow a hole thru the tape before the bullet ever gets to it
  • Options
    BoonyboyBoonyboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one for you. I am mystified! last evening I had a buck at 13 yrds. broadside and I shot my 50 cal. TC Encore with red dot scope at him. After the smoke cleared I see him trotting off and standing in some brush about 75 yds. away. Then he just slowly walks off. After checking for blood, hair, etc. I find nothing. I checked everywhere for blood and nothing. I just went out and took a practice shot a few minutes ago and drilled the bullseye @ 25 yrds. no problem. I have shot it a quite a bit this fall in preparation since I had just put on the red dot.
    Is it possible that taking it in and out of the cold several nights in a row, keeping the load in it, caused condensation to get into the pyrodex pellets and that caused a blast less explosive?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boony, assuming you weren't overcome by "buck fever," did the recoil and sound of the report seem normal? Were you using sabots? I had a friend who did one similar, and he later found the bullet had either fallen out or hadn't been loaded. The saboted bullets he was using were extremely loose in the barrel, and probably fell out. Of course if you're experienced, this is unlikely. You'd know better than to let it happen, but he ain't too bright.
  • Options
    BoonyboyBoonyboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I was using sabots and they seemed to fit pretty snuggly, but, who the heck knows now. All I do know is I'm going back out after mr. lucky buck again tonite with fresh snow this time. Charge!!