In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Single shot rifle.

dannyvpdannyvp Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Im very new to this guys, so bare with me.
Im wanting a sharps/highwall style rifle.
what i really want is to assemble it myself.
Does anyone sell a kit?

Comments

• Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I've seen kits for sale occasionally on e-b*** but never on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well i didnt even know if they were made.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you'll find a sharps or highwall "kit" gun. You can get a Hawkin style black powder muzzle loader kit if you really want to put one together.

Bode
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have found that iab arms sells a kit, getting it may be difficult.
    I also know nothing of a iab rifle. What do you guys think of these?
  • Options
    38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danny,I was looking last year for the IAB kit.It comes 50%( all parts there in a box) and 80% (assembeled but needs finishing).If i remember right 50% can only be sold to gunsmiths becuase it isnt headspaced or anything.Prices were almost the same as a finished rifle from Taylor or EMF.Impact Guns was the cheapest for IAB sharps, http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-18972.html
    link for the kit was at http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-18972.html
    They arent bad guns for the price, once you get them straightened out. Mine was shooting 12 inches low at 50 yards when i got it,I went to a front sight that was 1/2 the original height.Also watch the lever spring and plunger when you disassemble it they are small and like to get lost.Hope that helps you out
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, what should one look for in a sharps style rifle?
    What are the brands to stay away from?
  • Options
    38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the mixup on the links. Link for kit is http://www.brenzovich.com/sharps_rifles.htm
    I was pointing out what i found out about my gun. Dont get me wrong I do like it. It will shoot straight if I do my part. I bought it for hunting and plinking.It has done both well. IT toppled a deer at 150 yards, so no complaints there.
    The spring I was talking about is about the size of a ball point pen spring.It sits in the frame. If you know it is there when you take it apart, you wont get the surprise like I did
    Personally i think it is like buying a car. You can get good and bad in every brand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i dont know anything about sharps or a highwalls. All i know is that i want one. The kit is around $900.
    What should i look for in one of these rifles?
    Also do you guys reload your ammo? Im looking at a 45-110 or 45-120.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that kind of money, you could just about buy the finished rifle from Sportsman's Whse, if you have one in your area.

There's a few good quality reproductions of various Sharps models in that price range, but the Browning High Wall is gonna cost ya!

The calibers you mention may get pricey for brass, so I stuck with the 45-70.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a sportmans warehouse and saw a few standing there but couldn't get ant help. The brass for the 45-120 looked to be around $3.50 a piece. But man it should be fun. I'm just a little worried on loading the black powder.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie Gun Works has two (Not Kits) on Christmas sale for $895.00 each. One is a .44/40, the other is .45/70. Both are made by Pedersoli, a pretty good company.
  • Options
    gbrhino333gbrhino333 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A QUIGLEY PEDERSOLI 45-70 THAT I BROUGHT 2 YEARS AGO. A VERY ACCURIATE RIFLE. I ALSO BROUGHT THE MIDRANGE SOULE SIGHT KIT. IT IS THE MOST FUN GUN I HAVE EVER OWNED. THE QUALITY OF THE GUN BLEW ME AWAY FOR THE PRICE.