In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Puff-Lon

glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody had any experience with Puff-Lon lubricating cartridge filler for use with light loads or smokeless in large BP cases? How about between the black powder and ball in a muzzle loader? Their website makes it sound great and Steve Garbe recommends it

Comments

• SreloadSreload Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I talked to man at puff-lon and he said its too light for cap and ball it would blow away while trying to fill cylinder.
  • gbrhino333gbrhino333 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I AM NEW HERE BUT I HAVE BEEN USING PUFF-LON FOR OVER 2 YEARS. I HAVE A SHARPS 45-70 AND I LOAD WITH 28 GRS. AA4577, PUFF-LON AND A 405 GR. LASER CAST BULLET. I SHOOT 5 SHOT GROUPS JUST UNDER 3/4" AT 100 YARDS FROM BENCH REST. I AVERAGE 1240 FPS. BARREL IS EASY TO CLEAN.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have used it in smokeless in the 11mm Mauser. IMR 4198 (around 27 grains if I recall) and top the case up with Pufflon- works great! Magic dust! It turns my poor loads into good ones when using charges small in volume compared to case capacity like blackpowder cartridges.

I haven't used it with black powder itself, per se yet. If I do I would limit it to about 1/4" on top of a charge of BP, with that 1/4 inch filling the case to the brim as it is pretty light stuff and you don't want too much air space or room for the powder to mititgate into the pufflon. If you do use blackpowder, ignore their statement about 'not having to clean'.