In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

777 Vs. any other 209

bigge8882bigge8882 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I shoot 777 pellets but have been using winchester primers I have heard people say that using 777 and not a 777 primer is defeating the purpose of easy cleaning. I just got my omega and only shot it 15 times and cleaning it when I got home was not too bad.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem witn 777 powder/pellets is that you probably will get a buildup of crud, just ahead of where the sabot sets in the barrel.
    This is known as the famous 777 "crud ring".
    Winchester has developed the "777" primer to deal with the crud ring.
    If you can shoot 777 and not get the crud ring, you are lucky. Press ahead.
    If you get the crud ring, you need to switch to the new Winchester 777 primers.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen's right in the bulls eye.

However, I have experienced a slight crud build up, even using Winchester's 209's for 777, AND...some reduced accuracy.
    Those primers are also power reduced as there's a tendency for 209's to 'burn thru' the pellets pushing (bumping) them, and bullet ahead.

Be sure NOT to use any petroleum based natural or synthetic lube in the barrel. It will assit in crud formatiom. If barrel is treated with Miltec-1, or similar, shot a few primers/cap, then a full load or two. Clean, clean, clean.

Pellets may be good for hunting....but one must try to see what works the best....in their rig. I find somewhat better accuracy w/Musket caps that 209's. Use only RWS flanged. You only get one shot anyway.

Persoanlly now only using loose Swiss powder.