In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder in a modern cartridge gun

rbezonarbezona Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I am thinking of using a .416 Rigby as a black powder cartridge gun.

I will cast bullets as well as handload of course.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an intriguing idea.
    The classic buffalo rifle was the .45-70
    If you could get 60 to 70 grains of powder into that cartridge I don't see why it wouldn't work, you might invent the .42-62
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like fun. The .416 has enough case capacity and a bullet big enough to have made a fine BP cartridge.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid the club held 4 BP shoots a year, plus rendezvous. They had one match where you could shoot a cartridge rifle with BP and, if memory serves a muzzle loaded projo. I tried it with my No. I Mk III Enfield. Every shot keyholed. BP probably won't reach the velocities you will need to stabilize your bullets with the twist rate of the rifle, IMO.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blckhrn
    When I was a kid the club held 4 BP shoots a year, plus rendezvous. They had one match where you could shoot a cartridge rifle with BP and, if memory serves a muzzle loaded projo. I tried it with my No. I Mk III Enfield. Every shot keyholed. BP probably won't reach the velocities you will need to stabilize your bullets with the twist rate of the rifle, IMO.
    Very interesting in that .303 was originally loaded with BP. Problem is, rifling for blackpowder and smokeless is generally different and will foul quicker, but don't see why it should have keyholed to start off.

I have tried this in a few rounds, down to 6.5X55. It works, but does dirty things up quickly.
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blckhrn

Blckhrn, were you using cast lead bullets in those BP loads? Just a thought, but jacketed bullets or cast bullets sized a bit too small for the bore might be the cause of the keyholing.