In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best sight for a muzzle loader for target shootin

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I'm still wondering ... what is the best sight for a muzzle loader that you are basically going to use for target and BP Shoots?

I'm thinking peep sights (like the Williams WGRS) but the aperature is big. Seems like there is way too much room to wobble or guess. What is your experience?

Can you get a veriable size hole?

Is it possible to get cross hairs in a peep sight?

What is the best front sight?

Comments

• Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I used the WGRS peep and a set of Lee Shaver inserts in a Lyman front sight and had really good results. The Lee inserts came with a crosshair insert that is thinner than the Lyman insert. It is made of steel and seems to be real durable. I used this setup on my H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 and it worked very well....Bull[8D]
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do the "Lee Shaver inserts" go into the rear sight or the front sight? If I understand correctly, it does sound like a good idea.
  • Options
    ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Marble's tang sight with a Lyman globe front sight.

That I am aware, you cannot have a crosshair in the rear sight, you just couldn't see it as it would be too close.

I like the Marble's because it is adjustable for windage and elevation and comes with different eyepieces. The Lyman tang sight is only adjustable for elevation. The other advantage of the Marble's is cost. Around $90. You can get some very fancy ladder and other sights which cost allot more, but don't give you that much in return for the added cost. Also, some folks use reciever mounted peep sights. These are ok too, and while the three inches or so of sight radius probably doesn't make a difference, I prefer the tang sight vrs the reciever mounted peep.

Lyman does make inserts for the front sight and Lee/shavers makes inserts that fit the Lyman sight as well. Among the choices is a crosshair.

Personally, for fine detail, I prefer a very fine post front sight. Cross hairs, thick posts, circles and all that other stuff is just more to get in the way of the target. With a good tang sight and front globe, you can easily shoot to 500 yards.

Hank