In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun oil

rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
any suggestions for gun oil that will provide protection from rust all winter long?

I have heard of a secret mixture that works better than any of the "gun oils" out there on the market. Anyone want to share their formula?

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had pretty good luck with my own formulation of Dixie Gun Works "Old Zip" patch grease - a mix of mutton tallow (DGW sells the tallow as well as pre-mixwd Old Zip) and beeswax.
    I've used it to rust-proof knives and other iron ware, keep moccasins supple, and even to grease patches!
    The beeswax gives a stiffer consistancy and keeps it from becoming liquid in hot weather. You could buy beef tallow from a butcher, render it down and substitute that for the mutton, but don't use hog's lard due to its salt content, which will result in a bit less rust resistance!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tri-Flow, RIG grease, KROIL, Rem Oil, or even heavy duty motor oil will work well unless your storage area is extreme.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Gibbs oil with fantastic results. Clean your gun as you normally would. The run a patch soaked with Gibbs down your bore.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.