In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unburned PRYODEX & M/V of Pryodex

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Is unburned Pryodex corrosive? I did not fire my Encore M/L barrel this weekend at Ohio's second deer gun season. I removed the breech plug and pushed the powder/bullet/sabot out the breech.

Not knowing if the pryoxex was corrosive I cleaned it with hot soapy water as if I had fired it.

Was this necessary or would have just wiping the powder out been sufficent for cleanup?

Has anyboby noticed a difference in M/V when switching from bulk to pellet PRYODEX?

Comments

• Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pryodex is not corrosive, according to the manufacturer Pryodex. Rust is caused by moisture attracted to carbon. So when you are cleaning your barrel you are removing carbon residue and coating to prevent moisture contact with steel.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pyrodex is crap. It fouls as bad as real black powder and I find it to be very corrosive. Switch to American Pioneer Powder, 777, Goex Pinnacle or Jim Shockey's Gold (APP). You will find they don't foul the bore hardly at all, you won't need to swab between rounds, and they are much more forgiving of poor (or no) cleaning practices. Give the Pyrodex to a "friend".
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    Pyrodex is crap. It fouls as bad as real black powder and I find it to be very corrosive. Switch to American Pioneer Powder, 777, Goex Pinnacle or Jim Shockey's Gold (APP). You will find they don't foul the bore hardly at all, you won't need to swab between rounds, and they are much more forgiving of poor (or no) cleaning practices. Give the Pyrodex to a "friend".

Is the American Pioneer Powder the stuff they fired something like 500 rounds and never cleaned the bore between shots? [?][?]

I'll just keep burning up the pydroex and cleaning between shots until it is used up.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid

Is the American Pioneer Powder the stuff they fired something like 500 rounds and never cleaned the bore between shots? [?][?]

I'll just keep burning up the pydroex and cleaning between shots until it is used up.

Pyrodex has always worked good in mine
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was APP, only it was 10,000 shots over a three day weekend without cleaning. APP reps have duplicated this demonstration many times. APP leaves NO fouling , no matter how many times you shoot it. I fired a cowboy match in late fall with cartridges loaded with APP. I didn't clean the rifle till before the spring shoot, five months later, and the barrel was bright and clean after two patches, no corrosion. It does react badly with brass however, but this can be negated with water and soda, or vinegar.