In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

first muzzleloader!! - very excited!

bryan.elkinsbryan.elkins Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Great site here, glad to have found it and now be a part of it. I recently bought an H&R Sidekick .50 in synth/ss, and have it sited in dead on at 100yds with the sabots that came with the TC starter kit (H&R didn't have one). They are the black sabots with the yellow ballistic tips, anyone have a clue as to the weight of these? i think they are 250's but not sure. Also this was with 100 grains of powder 777. i want to get as good a grouping as possible at 200yds with this rifle, any one have any advice for loads/bullets?

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are probably the T/C Shockwave's.

They come in 200, 250, 300 grain pills for the 50 caliber. I shoot a similar round (300gr Hornady SST's)

I would guess their weight at 250's.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so they aren't color co-ordinated for simpletons like me?(ha)
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope sorry. It is a good idea.

I would buy the 250grainers and take a shot with one @ 100yds. If the impact is low, than you know you sighted it in with 200's. If it's high, the 300's.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost certainly they gave you the 250 Shockwave. The Shockwave is the same as the Hornady 250 SST, the only difference is the SST has the red tip. Shockwaves are made by Hornady for TC. Since you are getting good groups with the Shockwave, you might want to stick with it. There is a chance you would get a different sabot with the SST. Then again, you could get better groups with a different sabot.
    With 100 gr. of 777 and the 250 Shockwave, you have a good 200 yard load. The 250 will not drop as much at long range as the 300, and the 250 is a well proven deer killer, just ask the buck I shot a week ago with one.
    I know a guy who killed a big buck at 207 yards with 85 grains of 777 and a 245 gr Barnes bullet, shooting the TC Omega.
    I suggest you sight your rifle 2 inches high at 100, and then see what you get at 200. Probably will be 8 inches low.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so they aren't color co-ordinated for simpletons like me?(ha)
  • Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best advice to give some one that is new to muzzle loading is to shoot a lot and try something new every time they shoot .What I mean is try new loads and bullets and sabots ,brand of powders and such things like that . Only in this way can you find the" BEST" loads and ammo for our gun . No two guns shoot the same and it is very hard to get sub 3 inch groups at 100 yards in any muzzleloader. so if you are Dead on at 100yrds.Try something new you will not regret it maybe you will get a smaller group