In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

American Pioneer sticks ignition problem?

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have a kit .45 caliber BP rifle that I wanted to get set up as a "loaner" for Ohio's BP deer season.

Based on some suggestions here I used American Pioneer sticks. After popping 4 CCI #11 caps it still would not go bang! [V] I removed the nipple and poured a few grains of pyrodex into the hole. That made it go BANG. [:D] I switched to loose Pyrodex for the next several shots. It went bang the first time every time. For iron sights, accuracy was very good.

Is American Pioneer hard to ignite in stick form? Would it be better to use the loose powder type or do I have to stick to pyrodex?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your real life experience is contrary to what some manufactures want us to believe that "compressed charges are easier".
    Well, if they are why is there so much trouble with them in so many different type guns???

Sticks/pellets do take hotter ignition tempatures, and they just make loading somewhat easier, bit do offer more ignition problems.

Don't show what rifle your using, but here's some possibilities:
    > Stick may not be inline with the cap flash. One end is tapered for easier loading. Haven't tried this but have you tried reversing load positiion?
    > Cap flash travel maybe too long.
    > Nipple slightly obstructed. Clean with pik or drill.
    > Nipple port may have a rough machined ridge. Distorts flash.

On In Lines personally went to Musket caps. Much hotter, and bigger flash for much, much better ignition that 10's & 11's. Often get better accuracy than using standard 209's or the new reduced power 209's which work much better wiith pellets.