In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope on a saa

zombiezombie Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
i have a colt saa i want to take hunting
only thing is i cant see past 30 yds
deer hang out at about 75 to 100 yds
what do you guys think is he best way to go ?

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Sneak up on the deer until you're within 30 yards before shooting!
    Seriously, I don't know of any factory mount for the SAA, although it might be possible to modify an existing mount to fit. A better choice might be to get a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, for which scope mounts are available.
    My own far vision has not improved over the last 40 years of shooting. I need eyeglasses just to make out the 100 yard targets, so in spite of the snide remark that opened this post, I sympathize.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is the best way to sneak up on a deer
    30 yds or less
    thank you
  • Options
    tipoctipoc Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt SAA was not designed as a hunting handgun so it would be a bit of an abomination to scope one. Also likely expensive and not too trustworthy a mount. The suggestion to pick up a Ruger is a good one. I'd look for one that is easy to mount a scope to, check a Ruger catalog or their website for your options.

You don't mention what caliber your gun is so I'll just assume it's a good one for deer.

Depending on where you live you have some options on deer hunting. Some places hunting from a stand can allow the deer to get quite close.

If you have not hunted sight and stalk before you may want to start with someone who is more experienced and learn from them. You may also want to start with a long gun and develop your skills some. Either way you'll want someone else along.

tipoc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ''obomination''?...that harsh
    i take it you dont like the colt saa
    i love the gun and im a very good shot
    i want to make the gun grips from the very
    deer i shoot
    45 long colt is that good for deer ?
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I love the old Colt SAA, and the various clones, but I wouldn't put a scope on one either.

45LC is also my favorite choice, and makes a good deer load, when properly stoked. What's your barrel length?

As previously stated, I'd agree...find a Ruger that's designed to have a scope mounted on it, and go from there. It's also a heavier frame that would be more conducive to a healthy hunting load.

My .02, FWIW. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I love the Colt SAA and have two, both in .45 Colt. But IMHO to scope one would be an error. The Colt New Frontier would be a better candidate for a scope mount. Better yet the Ruger.

The .45 Colt is an excellent choice for deer.

tipoc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me go a bit further with why I think scopeing a SAA would likely be a mistake.

A modern Colt SAA can safely handle loads of up to 1000 fps with a 250 grain bullet. This is more than adequate for deer and hogs. That load though tends too be heavy on the gun. 900 fps is better and is still a good load for deer. As well as for self defense. The SAA due to the fixed sights tends to shoot most accurately with one or two loads. That is you find the loads the gun likes best and shoot those. Now in the past many shooters who wanted to shoot a variety of loads accurately had gunsmiths adapt adjustable sights to the guns. This ain't necessary anymore as their are a good many single actions available with adjustable sights.

Now to mount a scope to the SAA would require the removal of metal from the topstrap which would weaken an already relatively weak area of the gun. The lines of the SAA are beautiful and well designed for the defensive use of the gun but they make it less than optimun for a hunting handgun. Any scope mounted to them would tend to shake loose over a few rounds. It would also IMHO look butt ugly.

As you likely know there are different levels of power for loadings for the .45 Colt and along with these different guns for those levels of power. The Colt SAA and it's clones can handle any load with a 250 gr. bullet up to about 1000 fps. But a bit lower is better. The New Frontier and the Ruger BlackHawk and Vaquero and FA 97 can go up to 1100 with the 250 gr. or a bit slower with a heavier bullet. Above this you get into the serious hunting loads. The .45 Colt can do what the .44 Magnum can with a bit less pressure and it can go beyond it in the right loads. Most of the guns that can handle these loads are easily scopeable and are made for scope mounting. So if you intend to do some hunting with a handgun getting a good strong gun for it may be what you want to look at.

tipoc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you very much guys
    i will not put a scope on my gun
    but i will still take it hunting
    i'll never know how good i am
    until i do
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:p]

Now that's funny right there...I don't care who ya are!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ha ha ha ha!!!
    that is funny but whats the candle for ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Night sights? [:D] [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's the tactical flashlight.

tipoc