In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

54cal for Deer??

BuckFeverBuckFever Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Does anyone think that a 54cal new englander or hawken is to big for deer or even blackbear? I figure if I get get a better deal on a 54cal than a 50cal I'd take it unless it is way, way more than I need. Any Thoughts?[?]

BuckFever

Comments

• amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    bigger sounds better to me, having no experience with that. But you might want to check your local regs as they might limit caliber.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No it is not too big for deer. A .54 would make a great deer rifle, and would probably be better for bear than a .50 would.
    There is no limit on how large a caliber you can hunt with.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, if you decide to shoot sabots, you'll actually use the same bullets as if you were shooting a .50 cal - just the sabots are a little thicker. Only if you use conicals or round balls, will you really be at .54 caliber.

One word of caution - if you do plan to use sabot rounds, they are getting a little harder to find as the 50 caliber dominates.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KX500
    Also, if you decide to shoot sabots, you'll actually use the same bullets as if you were shooting a .50 cal - just the sabots are a little thicker. Only if you use conicals or round balls, will you really be at .54 caliber.

One word of caution - if you do plan to use sabot rounds, they are getting a little harder to find as the 50 caliber dominates.

I have used a 54 cal. for many years "deer & bear". You can order the sabots from these folks if you can't find them as a package deal, just find the bullets them order the sabots.
    www.mmpsabots.com
  • BuckFeverBuckFever Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was actualy thinking about using connicals instead of balls or sabots. What do you think?

BuckFever
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a 1:48 twist. This will be accurate with round ball. Also will be accurate with maxi-ball or maxi-hunter. Any of these three loads will be very good for deer or black bear.