In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new to muzzleloading ....many questions.

pstevenpsteven Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I got a Remington genesis muzzleloader for Christmas but I have a few questions that I would like to get some answers or opinions on.
Is there a difference between a regular rifle scope and a muzzle loader scope?
What is the advantage of a weaver mount vs. scope mounts directly to the barrel?
Powder or pellets?
Does anyone here have this type of gun and what to you think about it?
I hope that this is not too many questions for one topic.
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A regular centerfire rifle scope will work on a muzzleloader.
    Buy a powder measure and use loose powder. To get the most accurate load, you need to work up a load in five-grain increments, and you cannot do this with pellets. Try three shots with 75 grains, then try three shots with 80 grains, then 85, 90, 95, and 100 grains. Most muzzleloaders will be more accurate with one particular loading.
    There are plenty of guys who buy a pack of pellets, pop two fifty grain pellets in their inline and get 2 inch groups at 100 yards and they are content. The next guy, however, can't do better than five inch groups with 100 grains, and he needs to fine tune the load.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You asked is there a difference between a regular rifle scope and a muzzle loader scope?

none, unless your going to hunt big game, some state's do not allow the use of magnifying optics (most riflescopes) with muzzle loaders during the hunts. CO&UT to name a 2

you could put one on and work up a load that shots the best, then switch to a 1x riflescope or red dot sight. if you live in CO you'll have to use good'ol open sights.