In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Max Load Discrepencies -- need some guidance

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
Hey folks. Need a little help here. The other day my wife brought me home a Traditions .44 cap & ball revolver (appears to be the 1851 Navy model). Anyhow, it came with 2 user's booklets tucked inside each other (one from F.LLI PIETTA, the Italian company who actually made the gun, and one from Traditions). Unless I am mistaken, however, there is a significant difference in what each of the user's manuals lists as the max load:

F.LLI PIETTA Manual: FFFG Grains min-max = 12-15

TRADITIONS User Information: 3F grains min-max = 22-30

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I need to get my information right before I shoot this thing. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Comments

• BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I'd start at 15 grains and increase by 5 gr at a time to what works best for you. It shouldn't hold much more than 30 gr., which is a safe load.

The only concern I'd have with heavier loads would be a chain fire, which can happen. Carefully watch the ball as it is seated, you should see a continuous ring of lead shaved off the ball. This insures a seal that is occlusive to spark at that end of the cylinder. Some guys seal with crisco or other grease, I don't. I also think that chain fires are as likely to occur if not more so at the other end of the cylinder, due to poorly fitting caps.
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The1851 Navy is NOT the strongest of all the pistol designs mater of fact is one of the weakest of all the colt designs . Keep your loads light to give your gun a longer life.
    If you want a cap and ball pistol you can shoot at max load all day long get a Remington with a steel frame .the close top is much stronger and the old army look more like the colt peace maker.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same pistol, the Traditions Colt made by Pietta.
    I shoot 28 grains of Goex in mine all day, no problem.

That 12/15 grain deal is a mistake. Perhaps intended for a smaller caliber gun.
  • ussarizonaussarizona Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the 12-15 grains at first. If the bullet dribbles out the end of the barrel, and falls on your foot, then maybe you could try more powder.

Seriously though, err on the side of caution. Experiment until you get comfortable.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't say whether your .44 has a brass frame or a steel one. With a brass frame, I'd use the lower set of figures (12 - 15 gr.). If it's a steel frame, the higher (22 - 30 gr.), should work nicely.