In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

taurus gaucho...action problems on new gun

espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
Just purchased a brand new Taurus Gaucho for some cowboy action shooting. Wanted a Colt clone and this one REALLY felt smooth. Got it home and realized that the almost hair trigger action was a harbinger of difficulty...turns out that after just a few pulls (dry firing fortunately) that the hammer would slip out of full cock and fire without any trigger pull! Wow, back it will go to Cabela's...but I was wondering what the real problem is here, is it a spring problem (sear,gate catch,main,firing pin???), transfer bar??? What should I look for next time, I'm a newbie to this and certainly no gunsmith, thanks for your help.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nose of the trigger contacts a notch on the hammer at full cock. I'd guess that either there's a bit of dirt or a burr on the trigger nose or the full cock notch (hopefully). I hope you DON'T have a problem with soft metal wear or a broken part (either might cause a hair trigger or the hammer falling from full cock).
    To straighten out the problem, you'll have to disassemble the gun and examine the parts.
    Cleaning should eliminate dirt or hardened oil, careful stoning with a Hard Arkansas hone should take off a burr (don't change the angle of the engagement surfaces).
    Broken or badly worn parts will have to be ordered and fitted by hand, or the revolver will have to be sent back for factory repair.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply...I should have added the fact that the trigger misfire doesn't happen all the time, maybe 50% of the time. If I had to guess I'd say it almost feels like something is worn down. But on a new gun? Of course, it WAS the showroom model as none were in stock. I NEVER take the display model, guess I was in too much of a rush to get it.

I'd take it apart to see more, but am concerned that the store might invalidate the return, so think I'll just bring it back as is. I was really taken with the closeness to a real Colt, 4 clicks and all. Oh, I should also mention that the 4 clicks are gone, (you can barely hear two) and it won't hold a 1/4 or 1/2 cock at all. Damn...would have been a nice addition, oh well, back to the Vaquero...
  • Options
    yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ship the gun to Taurus. 2-3 weeks you will have the gun back
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yachtdave

BTW, if I did want to send it back...do I have to do it through a licenced dealer, or can anyone just mail back a handgun? Do you have to put it in a lockbox? What Federal firearm laws should I be aware of?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by espo28

BTW, if I did want to send it back...do I have to do it through a licenced dealer, or can anyone just mail back a handgun? Do you have to put it in a lockbox? What Federal firearm laws should I be aware of?

Thanks!

Ship it by FedEx or UPS but NOT through the US Postal Service. It's legal to ship through a private carrier but not USPS unless you hold an FFL seller's license.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a follow-up...I decided to take the defective Taurus back and get another gun. Went with my heart on this one, picked up a brand spanking new in the box Colt 45/4.75 barrel. They also had a new .45 5.5 barrel and it was a tough choice, but since I plan to shoot this piece in cowboy style I thought it might save me a few milli-seconds on the draw, lol!

Thanks for all your comments, now I have to go out and try'er out :))
  • Options
    fjp318fjp318 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my Gaucho back in Jan. and sent it back to the factory on Feb. 2/06. I have not gotten it back yet. It has been four months. The reason I sent it back was no matter what ammo I used it was shooting 6 to 8 inches high and 3 inches left. About a month ago I called customer service and all they would tell me is they are waiting for parts. What parts?? Maybe a new barrel!! Very disappointed with Taurus customer service they tell you nothing. Other than that the gun functioned with no other problems like yours. BTW all shooting from sand bag at 25 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fjp318
    What happened to my new Gaucho? it's been gone for five Months. Maybe you can give me a better phone number to call.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only held a Gaucho in the gun shop, but I sensed trouble the minute I picked one up. The trigger felt thin and flimsy. Didn't feel like a solid firearm at all. I handed it back to the merchant and have avoided them ever since.

-Wolf

P.S. Only Taurus I own is a little PT-22 that I bought 6 months ago. It took experimentation with 3 different brands of .22LR before I found one that it would feed consistently. Took about 500 rounds before I could shoot a magazine without jamming. Now the trigger spring is failing. Also the finish is crude as hell (nicks and buff marks all over the slide). It seems the common story I hear about Taurus is that they are fine guns, once you send them back to the factory to fix all of the problems. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wolf, you may be right about "after you send it back". It took 5 months to get it back almost to the day. They put a new barrel on it and sent me the test target. 6 shots inside 1 1/2 inches at 15 yards using Winchester cowboy loads. I find no other problems with it "YET". I bought this gun at a gun show new for $379+tax total $406.74 plus shipping cost to Taurus $45.24 = $451.98 "no bargain"
  • Options
    gialloretogialloreto Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i too had a problem with a taurus gaucho 45... mine was not with easy or effortless release, but with lock up, hammer locking in the fully cocked position and staying that way untill played with for a half hour or so, the problem began before i ever even loaded it, just getting used to the throw of the hammer. i returned the pistol 2 days later after trying to loosen the tight mechanism with 200 rounds of magtech 250 gr. shells... it was replaced by the dealer with an identical pistol, never had a problem, pistol works wonderfully.