In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

40-82 Caliber ammo for '86 Win. - Help!

trevathantrevathan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a well-preserved 1886 Winchester lever action with the octagonal barrel handed down from my grandfather. Unfortunately, it is a 40-82 caliber. It has been very hard finding shells. If anyone knows a shell maker that can make this caliber, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ten-X has the least expensive .40-82 I could find for you, and if you save your brass they will reload it for you at reasonable cost. http://www.tenxammo.com/Pricing.html

Buffalo Arms has .40-82. You will cry about the price but they are the only source of ammunition with jacketed bullets. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3877.htm

Old Western Scrounger has some but with light lead bullet.
    http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/452

One of these ought to let you at least fire Grandpa's rifle on ceremonial occasions.
  • 44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload for the 40-82. Cast my own bullets and use them in a 1886 Winchester just like yours. If you need some ammo I might be able to help you. Contact me at lt4590@msn.com.
  • darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I WOULD ADIVISE AGAINST SHOOTING JACKETED BULLETS IN THAT 86 UNLESS THE BARREL IS MARKED NICKEL STEEL I TRIED SHOOTING SOME REDUCED LOADS WITH SMOKLESS AND JACKETED BULLETS DID NOT WORK TO WELL IF YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A FRAME FOR AN 1886 LET ME KNOW THANKS
  • UllrUllr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting my '86 Winchester in 40-82 for 25 years and have most probably put 20 thousand rounds through it. The only noticeable difference since I started using it are some sweat marks on it, as we have very hot temperatures here in summer.
    I have used the same brass for all those years with little case loss. RCBS basic brass cut back with a small tube cutter and then sized. The odd head separation has been extracted with an old Marbles broken case extractor. My bullet mould is a RCBS 41-260-FN. The projectiles weigh about 260 grains depending on the lead-linotype mix. I lube and size the projectiles to .406. I use 29 grains of (ADI)AR2006, similar to IMR 3031. Over the powder I then fill a 30/30 case of Semolina (maybe called cream of wheat in USA)through a one foot drop tube. I then seat the projectile over the top of that. I do not resize my brass after shooting, the primers are just knocked out, case reprimed, and then go through the same loading process. Don't run the cases through the action like this, single load only. My '86 has a 1 in 28inch twist.
    I consistently shoot under two inches at one hundred metres and one inch at fifty metres using open iron sights.