In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Precussion revolvers - Conversions to cartridge

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I posted some questions in the handloading forum concerning reloading for three revolvers that I acquired last night. These inquiries might be better placed here. Below is a copy of one of them.

Last night I acquired an Italian repro of the old Navy colt (1861 Navy 36 cal, I think) that has been reworked into a cartridge revolver. It is chambered for 38 spl, but I was told to use only black powder in loading for it. This revolver was used in cowboy action shooting. Any thoughts on loads for it with either black powder or very light smokeless loads?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kirst and R&D conversions are rated for use with black powder or the light smokeless loads sold specifically as "Cowboy" ammo.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old is the gun? Does it still have the percussion cylinder with it? Years ago, someone was selling conversion kits for that revolver. I have one also. Pressure was applied (?) and they ceased production. Now, R&D and Kirst both make the conversion cylinders and since it is not a "gun", they can legally sell them. I have R&D cylinders for my 1858 Rem and a Ruger Old Army, looking to get one for my Uberti 2nd mdl Dragoon. Emery
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have learned you can use normal black powder loads and light smokeless loads other wise known as cowboy loads. These means no jacked rounds and low pressure loads. I also am looking at getting a conversion Colt but in 45 LC at some point.