In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Navy Colt

HistoryfanHistoryfan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I would like some basic information on a 1851 Navy Colt as to dates of manufacture and approximate value. The serial number is 75917, and I found a serial number on all the parts except the loading lever. It has a brass trigger guard and back strap. On top of the barrel is "Address Saml Colt Hartford CT", and on the left side of the frame is "Colts Patent." It does not have any design on the cylinder, and it is slightly tarnished, but otherwise in working order. I have no idea as to its history, but I got it in Oklahoma.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just quote you a little book info....colt made 215000 of these 1850-1873 in 39 cal medium size with roll engraved cylinder scene of battle between texas & mexico navies, small round trigger guard, silver plated brass grip frame & trigger guard, all variations have colt's/patent on left frame...first set 1-74000 was address new york city, 74001-101000 was hartford ct.,third was 101001-215000 new york u.s.america...the number of variations within this model requires an expert appraisal for evaluation....beware repros & fakes....cant imagine finding a real one in condition your short description implies, but then i cant win at cards either...find an expert & have fun
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    just quote you a little book info....colt made 215000 of these 1850-1873 in 39 cal medium size with roll engraved cylinder scene of battle between texas & mexico navies, small round trigger guard, silver plated brass grip frame & trigger guard, all variations have colt's/patent on left frame...first set 1-74000 was address new york city, 74001-101000 was hartford ct.,third was 101001-215000 new york u.s.america...the number of variations within this model requires an expert appraisal for evaluation....beware repros & fakes....cant imagine finding a real one in condition your short description implies, but then i cant win at cards either...find an expert & have fun

.36 caliber, not 39. Your Colt was manufactured in 1857. Unfortunately, Colt does not have historical letters available for that serial number range.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be VERY careful buying a Colt percussion revolver these days, especially the 1851 and 1860 models. There are a lot of creeps out there that are taking modern guns and "aging" them to be sold as antiques. For some reason, several of the worst of these guys are operating out of Florida.