In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cowboy Long Range...

Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody out there shooting the Long Range Cowboy? Looking for 38-55 load data..
Retired LEO
Combat Vet VN
D.A.V Life Member

Comments

• Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, can't help you with that flavor. I like my 45-70!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot .38-55 but it is in a single shot with black.
    Will that help?
  • Options
    38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can scan and email you loads from 4 or 5 books if you want smokeless.
  • Options
    ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the 1895CB Marlins in 38-55. Very nice gun, too bad they don't make them anymore.

I have won a few competitions out to 300 yards with mine. I shoot 240 grain lead bullets sized at .379. I have used several powders including H4895 and I think H4198 but honestly, some of the best results have been with hodgden 777. Some, but not all of the shoots I have been to required black powder or a sub and I had some 777 that I used in my Encore for deer hunting. Figured I would give it a try. Filled up a case so it would just touch the base of the bullet and then measured that by volume. Knowing this volume, I size and deprime then load each case by volume, then seat and crimp. Of the loads I have tried, this one works as good or better than most. Pretty stout too.

Hank
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info....Triple 7 sounds good...May give it a try. Right now I'm using Reloader-7, 4895 and IMR 3031. Was leading up with .379 store bought bullets. Started applying Lee's liquid Alox and cut the leading problem. I think I have a bullet seating/alignment problem also. What dies are you using?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not shooting cowboy action but I do shoot quite a bit of .38-55. My current pet load is a 265 gr SAECO RNFP cast 20-1 over a duplex load of 43 gr. FFG Goex/3.0 gr. IMR 3031. Load produces around 1350 fps and 2" 100-yd groups (iron sights) from my Uberti 1885 Highwall.

Bill
  • Options
    doughboydoughboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking about SASS,Am interested in Cowboy Action Long Range Shooting, I do not see it referenced in there Rules?
    Can anyone fill me in on whether this is a class I can compete in,
    What caliber is allowed,ect.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Long Range shooting at SASS matches is not a part of the main match. It is generally shot a day before the main match as a part of what are called side matches. Although not a part of the main match, there are some people that live for these side matches and some even for a specific one or two.
    The long range side matches are usually broken up into several divisions such as pistol and rifle caliber, single shot and lever gun, smokeless and BP etc. Distances and courses of fire vary from shoot to shoot and one never really knows what to expect until you get there.
    I don't recall any specific caliber restrictions, but you can only shoot lead bullets. Gas checks are against the rules for main match bullets but are ok for cowboy long range. You will find that probably 60% are shooting 45-70, 20% are shooting 38-55 and the rest are shooting other stuff like 45-90, 50-60 or others.
    Some folks that shoot SASS are also shooting NRA BP long range. Their attention to detail and precision must be much higher at their typical match as the distances are generally much further. The extra effort they use typically is rewarded at the closer ranges of the cowboy long range.
    Some use pretty fancy dies, I just use some plain ole Lee's 38-55 with a Lee's challenger press to reload mine.
    Good luck
    Hank
  • Options
    doughboydoughboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, Now I just need to decide on single shot or lever action :D
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well.......I got the 26" to shoot 2" at 200 yards....But it took some work!! The ALOX with .379 dia. bullets did the trick (still using R-7). I think I need a smaller rear peep and or a Lyman type target front sight with inserts?...The 21" shot 200 gr JFP's all day long into a 6" steel plate at 200 yards...
    What's everybody using for sights?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats,
    There are more expensive sights out there, but this is what I use.
    A Marble's Tang sight for the rear. Lyman makes a good one too, but the Marble's is adjustable for windage and elevation where the lyman is only adjustable for elevation and in my opinion, the Marble's has cleaner, sharper adjustments and is better made. For the front sight, I use a Lyman globe sight. They come with all sorts of inserts; thin, thick, circles, crosshairs etc. I use the ultra fine post on mine.
    Also, what I did was take the regular rear sight and sight it in for 100 yards and then sight the tang sight in for 200. That way if you need a quick 100 yard sight, just fold the tang sight out of the way and there you are.
    There are more expensive tang and globe sights out there, but for shooting out to 250 or 300 yards, I think any more is overkill.
    Hank
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The one on top is the one I am working with right now. Also a pic of the front sight. The post is pretty "fat"...I think I'll try a front sight like you's first..
    38-55_21.jpg
    100_0627.jpg
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member