In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I got a new toy, and know nothing about it!

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
Knight inline .50 . My first BP rifle. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It has the regular caps. Should I switch it to take shotgun primers? Does it make that much of a difference?

How many grains of pyrodex can I stack in that puppy?

I'll search the threads for cleaning advice, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Who here scopes theres? What's accuracy like @ 150yards w/ a scope? 200 yards?

Do I need to use patches, and bore butter for accuracy? Even with sabots?

Help 0ut a beginner!

Ben

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a Wolverine?
    When you say "stack" I infer that you are using Pyrodex pellets. Just use 100 grains. Most guns won't accurately shoot 150 grains, and most guns won't burn that amount of powder. You don't need that much power for big game hunting.
    Most people do scope their inlines. Knight rifles have a reputation for accuracy. You should be able to get 2 inch groups at 100. Some Knights do better than that.
    You don't use patches or bore butter, if you are using sabots. Knights are not designed for patched round ball, most people use sabots, although you can use an elongated slug such as a Buffalo Bullet etc.
    Try the Hornady 250 SST or the 240 XTP, two of the classic inline sabots. Not too expensive and readily available.
    I would stick with the regular caps. If you are shooting Pyrodex you should get good ignition with them.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Knight inline .50 . My first BP rifle. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It has the regular caps. Should I switch it to take shotgun primers? Does it make that much of a difference?

How many grains of pyrodex can I stack in that puppy?

I'll search the threads for cleaning advice, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Who here scopes theres? What's accuracy like @ 150yards w/ a scope? 200 yards?

Do I need to use patches, and bore butter for accuracy? Even with sabots?

Help 0ut a beginner!

Ben
    Help 0ut a beginner!

Ben
    [/quote] Ben I have a knight. definatly buy the the conversion kit its like $50 bucks converts to 209 primers. I use 100 gr with 240 gr sabot 2" groups out to 150 yards i have never has a missfire with the 209 primers yet with the same gun I had misfires with the #11 toy caps.No patched just drop two 50 grain pyrodox pellets into the barrel then a jacketed sabot pack it down with the ramrod *** Important make sure it is all the way seated then put a mark on the ram ros so you are sure that you always seat the sabot to the same point. put a primer in and "KA boom
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used just about every bullet mentioned in my Encore and i recently switch to a, TC maxi hunter, I have been very impressed
    if i can find my 100 yd sight in target i'll post it. I use sabots power bellets, conicals, buffalo bullets, you name it, all worked some worked better. check your state law's find out what is legal then go from there. nothing sucks more to find that a sabot works great buy 2-3 packages and then you find out you cant hunt with them.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, I have some experience with Hornady's 240gr XTP....Personally think they leave some to be desired. Shot a doe at 15yds out of a CVA, 100gr Pyrodex with 209 primer. Went through both shoulders and both lung. She still ran 100-125yds.

I switched to Hornady 300gr SST's, great accuracy, never hit an animal with it so I don't know about power.

I'm swithing to the Barnes Expander MZ this year.

BTW, my CVA has a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it and will squeeze 1.5MOA or better off a bench. I have a feeling that I'll cut under an inch this year.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.