In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

missfire in barreta under barrel 1680-1980

chukarfoolchukarfool Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I would like to know if this is a common problem with the baretta 1980 o/u. The under barrel frequently missfires. I have been using double F triple seven. Do any of the real blackpowder experts have any advice for me.

Comments

• Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun and have experienced the same situation.I went with hotter caps and real BP.Had trouble with pyrodex in the O/U and my SxS and never looked back.Can't remember my last mis-fire after switching.Great gun[8D].Figure I gotta clean it any way
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I always shot 2F real bp and Dynimit Nobel caps. The problem also might be the touch hole from the nipple down to the bottom barrel. If you haven't yet, take it out and check it for obstructions. If my memory is correct, it takes an Allen wrench.
  • Options
    sixbullsixbull Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is the touch hole under the nipple to the bottom barrel. I had a friend take the breech plug out and enlarge the hole in the breech plug, as before the fouling plugged up the hole preventing the spark from the cap reaching the powder.
    Do you pick after every shot?
    You may want to face the barrels down after every shot, pick both nipples, make sure the pick goes all the way in and while the barrels are facing down give the gun a good rap with the heel of your hand knocking out the fouling from the touch holes you just picked. Most Beretta's have this problem with the bottom barrel not firing because the hole becomes fouled.
    You may email Track of The Wolf about this problem as they have some good suggestions.
    Hope this helps........