In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for an elk "load"

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
im heading out to new mexico in october elk hunting during the muzzleloader season.

what have you guys used that has worked...or what HASNT worked.

ohh and shots will be 200yds or less

TIA

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    What kind of muzzleloader are you going to be using?

If using an inline, I would go with 100 grains of 777 (two 50 gr. pellets) with a 250 gr. T/C Bonded Shockwave or one of the Barnes offerings (250 - 300 gr.). This should be good to 150-200 yards.

If using a replica I would go with 80 gr. of loose 777 or Pyrodex under a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. This one should work to a little over 100 yards.

The other thing that you can do is contact the outfitter (if you are using one) and ask their recommendation. If you aren't using an outfitter, the local Game Warden for the area should be able to let you know what the locals are using.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    What kind of muzzleloader are you going to be using?

If using an inline, I would go with 100 grains of 777 (two 50 gr. pellets) with a 250 gr. T/C Bonded Shockwave or one of the Barnes offerings (250 - 300 gr.). This should be good to 150-200 yards.

If using a replica I would go with 80 gr. of loose 777 or Pyrodex under a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. This one should work to a little over 100 yards.

The other thing that you can do is contact the outfitter (if you are using one) and ask their recommendation. If you aren't using an outfitter, the local Game Warden for the area should be able to let you know what the locals are using.

im using a knight .50cal.

i called the outfitter, got his recommendations...just seeing what everyone thought [:)]
  • Options
    REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am going out in oct. also , to hunt with a friend of my near Cimarron. he and i both have T/C 50 cal. hawkins he uses 100gr bp
    with 285 gr Buffalo bullets, says it works well with the bulls he has killed, flattrns out to about the size of a quater he says, but you know how hunters lye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by REX6666
    i am going out in oct. also , to hunt with a friend of my near Cimarron. he and i both have T/C 50 cal. hawkins he uses 100gr bp
    with 285 gr Buffalo bullets, says it works well with the bulls he has killed, flattrns out to about the size of a quater he says, but you know how hunters lye

[:D][:D]

i was kinda hoping someone would say that 100gr of powder would be enough. i cant seem to get mine to shoot 150gr... thanks for the info
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    100gr of powder should be more than adequate.

I did some balistics research on the 300gr Hornady SST in front of 100gr of Pyrodex. It pushed over 1100ft-lbs of energy out to about 200yds. Beyond that, the energy dropped of quickly. They group very well and should suffice for Elk.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot weighed 777, FFFg, somewhere around 90 Grains weighed and the Barnes TMZ 290 grain, that will stop any Elk I know of inside 200 yards. I shoot a Knight Revolution and this gun likes this load as well as the 250 grain TMZ Barnes but you might also look for BlackMag3 as this is more energetic than 777 powder, in an equal weighed charge, it is also cleaner as patching between shots is not necessary to shoot at the range to work up your load Don't shoot pellets and use the Federal 209 primer with the powder.

Shoot powder not pellets
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive collected three elk with a muzzleloader. At first I was very dissapointed with the killing power of these rifles. Lung hits with lead bullets dont put them down quickly or even make them bleed a good blood trail. Both elk shot died, but one ran to a ugly place before it died. I now use a traditions 50 cal 100 gr. of 777 and 300 gr Nosler partation bullet. Hits in bone with this load give that powdered look around the hole that you see with high velocity cartridge rifles. I only shot one elk with this load but it didnt move far from where it was hit.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First Check the laws in New Mexico and see if Saboted Bullets are legal? if not use a T/C Maxi-Ball a big one! I have switched from saboted bullets and Power belts to the maxi balls and maxi hunters, As it is illegal to use saboted bullets, or any kind of sight other than iron, in Colorado. I have heard only good things about them from hunters. Here is my start target open sighted @ 50 yds w/ 2-50gr 777 pellets and a 275 maxi hunter & 295 PB with 2-50gr 777 pellets. I am still playing with the powder charge, it's also illegal to use pelletized powder in colorado, I was just using them up so not to waste them. these were shot's to check to see if i could hit paper after changing from red dot scope to open sights. I like the clean holes that are left behind like a 50 cal paper punch. both The balls and hunters are unbelievable at the range. The Power belt's shoot good but I have had poor results with them in the past with deer sized game.
    Mzstarttarget.jpg
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I haven't settled on a load yet but the 338 gr PB Platinum are giving good results with 115 gr 777.