In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 colt blackpowder

jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
I have a blackhawk bisley 45 colt/45acp convertible and at the range recently someone said they had a friend who loaded his with black powder [40 gr maybe] any ideas on this such as where to get load data, is it safe, is it economical, anybody here done it? thanks for the help

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can load your 45 Colt with BP. I am not sure of the load data, but I know it can be done. It is pretty dirty though. Fun, but dirty.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can safely shoot a full case of FFFg or Pyrodex and a 250 gr. bullet from your Ruger Blackhawk revolver. No sweat.

No powder scale is necessary to reload BP cartridges. I use my BP flask to nearly-fill the primed case. I then seat the bullet on top, compressing the powder.

For a lighter-kicking load, fill the case 2/3 full. Some folk will caution about not leaving an air pocket, but I've never had a problem with a 2/3 full .45 Colt case in the Ruger revolver.

A 230 gr. ACP bullets works, too.
  • smokepole52smokepole52 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck with 20 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. 20 grains is about all one can cram into a .38 Spec case and still have room for a bullet. Like the other fella said, "dirty, but fun". Be prepared to disassemble your revolver frequently for cleaning or the cylinder will bind up. I've also had better luck and more fun with 4.5 grains of Unique. Still gives off some smoke for that 'old timey feel', but can shoot indefinately without cleaning.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off I drilled the primer flash hole to 0.041, then I load up 32 grains of Ffg Schuetzen Black Powder, add a lubed wad, and set a 200 grain RNFP SPG bullet on top with a roll crimp.
  • tc399tc399 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a first generation all original SAA, serno 35xxx and I have been sitting here staring at it. The more I think about it, the less reason I can think of not to take it out and shoot it. Of course I can't find any light-loaded factory .45 LC black powder cartridges in Hawaii, but I know a couple of gentlemen with reloaders if I can figure out something that will get the slug out of the barrel without anything coming apart.

Does anyone have the list of standard loads for this gun circa 1877 or can tell me where to find it?

Thanks
    Best regards
    Tom
  • jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    cleaning rod and hammer DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT IT OUT remove the cylinder then drive it out
    edited November -1
    I'm terribly sorry! My post didn't make any sense. There is no slug stuck in the barrel, I am merely trying to find the lightest load I can use that will GET a slug out of the cartridge, down the barrel and hit a target 50 yards downrange.

Thanks
    Best regards
    Tom
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This depends on if you want to use real BP or a sub. Either way, here ya go. My own personal recipes, tried and proven in 4 3/4" 45's.

Sub>> Hodgdon 777, 2F, 18-20gr (by weight!!) 200gr cast lead bullet. I've won my catagory many times with the 18gr load! [8D]

Real BP>> Grafs (it's really Scheutzen) 2F, 1.9cc dipper or 28gr (volume) grease cookie, the same 200gr bullet. I haven't used this one in a match yet, but it's real accurate and comfy to shoot. [;)]

Your mileage may vary...good luck!
    edited November -1
    Thanks R.D. I'll see if this old gun will shoot that load without exploding.

Best regards
    Tom
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40 grains of ffg and a 250 grain bullet was the original BP load that will only fit in the older folded head cases. Today's solid head cases will only hold about 35 grains.