In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Base Pins

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
Any one have a tried and true method for repairing loose base pins in say an 1860 model?

I plan to use silver solder.

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the base pin loose in the frame or is the barrel loose on the base pin?
  • Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    The pin is loose in the frame. It was clocking out about 10-15 degrees to tight, making the arbor out of cant. I chased the threads and took out half the looseness, but I will still need to use some silver solder to fill up the rest of the space bertween the threads. I'll get some pretty soon and get this on the road so to speak.

I'm a little iffy about using locktite as some people have suggested at another site. It seems to work for them, but there is something about plastic providing the stability that is a little unsettling to me. I want a more permanent fix as suggested in the book Pistolsmithing, by George Nonte.

The barrel and cylinder match up like they should together. Someone had simply shot the crap out of it. Probably used lots of heavy loads. The cylinder and barrel shake together as a unit making this thing a rattle gun. abused...
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of silver solder better for the same reason and that rust and black powder corrosion wont get in the joint.
    The down side is in holding everything in alignment during the brazing.
    You want no more cylinder endplay, the wedge should be snug and you want the barrel-to-frame joint at the bottom to line up nicely without a gap.
    Maybe you can crimp the pin in the correct position with a centerpunch
    in several areas before brazing.