In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smokeless in Shiloh Sharps

1895man1895man Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
It has Taken me 3 Years but my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Business Rifle has Arrived. My main Interest is in Offhand Target Shooting, Hunting and Shooting with friends for fun. I had planned to shoot Factory 45-70 loadings 300 Gr. or 405 Gr. Jacketed or Custom Reloaded rounds with 405 Gr Rem. Jacketed Bullets. I have shot these in several Browning 86's over the past several years with no problems and fairly good accuracy. I felt that I could do the same in my Shiloh. I have read some posts on other Web Sites that Smokeless Powder and Jacketed Bullets will ruin this Rifle. The more I read, I find that Black Powder is the way to go. My concern is, I have very little Reloading Experience, it all seems very confusing.
What are some other shooters thoughts?
Any Good Books on Blackpowder Cartridge Reloading?
Is it as complicated as is sounds?
Thanks for your Replies!

Comments

• Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been my understanding that the replica breech loaders were made to handle smokeless powder, but I have no experience with them. It seems like an excellent question for the manufacturor. I'd very much like to hear the answer myself, but not just opinions. Get it from the horses mouth.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php?board=35.0

Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooting and Reloading Forum
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shiloh gun, Shiloh board, Shiloh people on the "support" section.
    http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

As I recall, their barrels are of modern steel and will shoot jacketed bullets as well as any.

But if you want to do it right, there is plenty of information on BP shooting.

Black powder shoots well and cleans up a lot easier than you might think. The main problems are getting powder and getting bullets. You cannot buy target grade cast bullets for the price of a Sierra MatchKing that I know of. I cast my own. I don't much enjoy it but it is the only way to get decent cast bullets.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look into nose pour moulds.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old thread, eh?

Two of my friends have nose pour molds.
    One is great, it led the second guy to get one from the same maker.
    His is just dismal.

I have a good Lyman - I am told your chances on that are about one in three - but if BPCR gets going again in this area and I upgrade, I would consider nothing but a Paul Jones mould.