In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Comments on Lightning Rifles?

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
Do they stay functional for long periods of time?
Do they jam much?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So no one here has even owned/used one?
  • Options
    gcurtisgcurtis Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a medium frame lightning rifle in 38-40 made in 1887. It is absolutely the funnest gun to shoot that I own. Recoil is light and the action is fast and slick. Much faster than the lever variety to cycle and return to battery. I shoot 180 grain round nose flat point cast bullet with a black powder equivalent smokeless load. I have not had any feeding problems with this load combination and have put around 250 rounds through it. I bought it from a guy who did the cowbay action game with it. He says he put over 2000 rounds through it. Still going strong and funtioning great. I have looked at the new reproductions and the fit, finish and action smothness are not anywhere near as nice as the original. Can't comment further as I have not shot one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been hearing things similar when other people are talking about the Taurus Thunderer.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Colt medium frame 38-40. The chamber throat will only allow original config bullets because rifling starts right at the case mouth. The SWC bullets I've been loading for a New Service have a band in front of the case which cuts into the rifling making chambering hard on the slick Lightning. I found the same problem with an 1889 Marlin 44-40.
    Lever guns have lost a lot of their glamour to me since I've experienced pump guns.
    You don't give up your shooting hand position while cycling pump guns.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy bought the Taurus version and so far it's a jamomatic.Of course it's the least expensive one out there.
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of our shooters has the USFA that looks and shoots great. But my partner has a Taurus (Xmas gift from wife) that jams on a regular basis.

Lesson here is don't even think about BP or a sub in one of these things! My pard is shooting 777, the other guy is smokeless.

They are also very picky about overall case length.

I'll stick with my 73 and Henry! [8D]