In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load question for Blackpowder

East BayEast Bay Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
Got a .50 cal CVA Kodiak. Was going to work up a load shooting Hornady SST. Instead of using straight powder, I was wondering at using 100 gr of pellets (777)& then adding up to 20 gr of loose 777 powder (or more) to tailor the load. I like the center channel for ignition on the pellets & thought that might help with ignition of the entire load. Any issues with that kind of combination?

Any successes for folks doing this?

Or should I stick with just loose powder?

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you shooting with open sights or high powered glass?

open sights stick with one or the other. you will not be able to shoot consistant enough to know weather or not it was the load that changed the POA or you.

if using glass you might see a diffence when you are changing the load up or down. Mz are not like smokeless rifles they are not as finiky. a grain or five one way or the other IMO isn't going to make that much differnce.

I use 100gr loose 777. I used the 50gr pellets, they didn't make any differnce accuracy wise. they where a little faster on the reload.
    they are illegal to use while hunting here.

some hunting buddies shoot 85grs loose 777. mostly because they don't like the pop they get from the rifle with 100gr charge. with a good limbsaver butt pad i can't tell the differnce between 100 or 85 grs. it all goes boom.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like two 777 pellets, but you might should practice with the loose powder form first. The best load isn't necessarily over a hundred grains, it might be less..
  • Options
    mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off DON"T mix the powder with pellets. Weigh your charges on a scale start with 85 gr. and do not exceed 95 by weight, I shoot 90 gr. by weight of 777 FFFg and the recoil is OK and the load is very lethal on deer out to 250 yards. After you find a load your gun likes, then you can pour your weighed charge into a volume device and set it for that charge and you are good to go. Hunt with powder