In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38-40 colt winchester and Marlin

fvpd201fvpd201 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I have a 1920's vintage colt SAA, a 1906 vintage Winchester 1873 and a Marlin 94 with a three didget serial number. All thrree are in excellant original condition.

My intention is to use the three in Cowboy Action shoots.

The question is, will the three take the same round and can I use modern ammuntion such as that supplied by Black Hills or must I use black powder in one or all of them.

Thank you in advance,

Mark J

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cowboy action loads are all very light and lower in power than full original black powder loads. I wouldn't fret about using them in any of your guns.
    I wouldn't use jacketed bullets in these guns even in the low powered factory loads.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the factory 38-40's are loaded to the lowest common denominator which is the Colt SAA. Unless, the Colt was made prior to 1900 I wouldn't fret it much. If the serial number indicates that the revolver was made prior to 1900 don't use smokeless powder in it.

As for the Winchester and Marlin rifles have em checked by a gunsmith familiar with the firearms and the era in which they were made.

Bode