In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder Smokeless?

formerlywrongformerlywrong Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
Any spin on reloading smokeless cartridges with black? Been reloading for years, and the thought occurred to me, all that black I've got stored....... maybe some loads could be worked up, make lots of smoke, what's the thought on this? Crazy?

I've been called worse, go ahead!!

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some calibers are conducive to this and some are not.

Most of the calibers used in SASS can be loaded with black powder or a black powder substitute with ease. The main concern with black powder is to compress the powder charge and some folks don't like the idea of a cartridge case filled that full.

Bode
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a guy on one of these forums, within the last year, giving the specs on reloading the .303 with black powder. He said he did it, and it worked fine. You might find it with the search function.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode
    Some calibers are conducive to this and some are not.

Most of the calibers used in SASS can be loaded with black powder or a black powder substitute with ease. The main concern with black powder is to compress the powder charge and some folks don't like the idea of a cartridge case filled that full.

Bode

I'm kind of expecting a much more negative reaction- Check me if I'm wrong- as I understand it, smokeless can detonate (burn so fast as to be uncontainable, while black will not. If so, black should be pretty safe with regard to over-pressure, but it has some aspects less desirable than smokeless. Does it not have some corrosive qualities and require barrel cleaning, or am I wrong there (i was, formerly, ha, ha!).
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The corrosive aspect kinda depends on where you live...humidity,etc. Here in Az, I don't worry about it at all. I can run through a 2 or 3 day match without having to do a knock-down, drag out cleaning, and just hose em down with Dawn dish soap/water. The bore snake is the greatest thing since sliced bread! [;)]

Otherwise, fill the case with BP, stuff a lead bullet on top with lots of lube, crimp the hell out of it...and ROCK! [8D] [:D]

I shoot 45 Colts, so your mileage may vary!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by R D Henry
    The corrosive aspect kinda depends on where you live...humidity,etc. Here in Az, I don't worry about it at all. I can run through a 2 or 3 day match without having to do a knock-down, drag out cleaning, and just hose em down with Dawn dish soap/water. The bore snake is the greatest thing since sliced bread! [;)]

Otherwise, fill the case with BP, stuff a lead bullet on top with lots of lube, crimp the hell out of it...and ROCK! [8D] [:D]

I shoot 45 Colts, so your mileage may vary!

Hey, something in common! Wife & I moved to Missouri from Phoenix area (Laveen) not too long ago, 8 years, after over 20 in AZ. Curious, talk was when we were still there, the guns shows I loved so well might be curtailed, restricted, etc. Has that happened? The Fairgrounds shows were something to behold! 2nd. favorite Mesa. Even went to the K of C in Chandler; you would not believe what I picked up there once.

We have 300 acres sandwiched between Mark Twain Nat'l Forest; I test fire off my front porch! But Missouri has restrictive and ridiculous laws on handguns.

You can tell I miss AZ?
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool...Good to hear from a fellow Zonie...even if you are a "former". [8D] We're in Sun City, since I graduated to Old Fart status, about 30min away from Laveen.

The gun shows haven't really changed that much..except maybe more crowded, more expensive (unless you've done your homework), and a select group that hasn't quite grasp the concept of soap and water! [xx(]

Shoot me an emule if you want to try a few recipes. If I've tried it, I'll be the first to tell you what works, and what doesn't! [;)] I'm no expert at it, but I'm glad to share my own experiences, or what others have tried that I trust.