In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass Shot Shell Loading

Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have any load data (or a link/reference) for Magtech Brass Shot shells? I have 12, 16, 20 and .410 ga. brass and plan to use IMR 4227 smokeless and/or if absolutely necessary BP. I have fiber wads and shot-card because plastic wads seem to be too small in diameter to provide a good gas seal. (Although a 12 ga. wad may work well in the 16 ga. brass my concern would be pressure.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must I just assume that no one else has discovered or uses Brass shotgun shells??

Any recommendations where else I may pose this question?
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Try this forum, I think I remember a thread about brass shotgun shells in "The Darksiders Den" forum:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/

Good luck.
    edited November -1
    Sky Soldier:

Thank you so very much. Found every thing I needed to know over there and more.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Wagon Wheel.
    Happy to have been of help.
  • pjogrincpjogrinc Member Posts: 20
    edited November -1
    You coud try Hogdons 777 in FF grade. This is a noncorrosive (should be cleaned good anyway) black powder substitute.

What type of gun are going to fire these in? Also you never said what type of loads you where after. That will make a difference. As far as wads go, use fiber wads 1 gauge larger. Plenty of places sell them: Balistic products, Precission Reloading, Tracks of the wolf, to name a few. Check the net. You still can use just the shot cup portion of a shotgun wad, or you can by a 'wrap' that will go down the barrel just like the cheap Federal and Winchester promotional shells.

Contact me off @ pjogrinc@msn.com for a more indepth info.

For case longevity, do not roll crimp the case! Instead, take 240 grit sand paper and wrap it around your finger, then sand the inside of the brass case down to about 3/8 inch from the mouth. Sand in a circular motion, just spinning the case on the sand paper. You just want to break up the finnish and ruff up the surface. Use a .030 over shot card on top of the shot and run a bead of RTV (silicone sealer) around the inside of the case mouth on top of the card wad. A 1/8 to 3/16 bead applied at a 45 degree angle is all you need.
    edited November -1
    pjogrinc:

Thanks. You should have mail.