In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kodiak shooting 2 ft groups.

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
I have been using a T/C Renegade for about 25 years but old eyes have convinced me to buy a scoped inline.I bought a 45 cal CVA Kodiak,but I can't hit a Buick at 20 yards with it.I used 90 grains of loose Pyrodex and 250 grain Lee REAL bullets.Terrible groups.Then used the same powder charge and T/C 225 grain Shockwave bullets.Better but still not good.A guy at the range had a Knight 45 and told me he had the same problem until he went to 3 pellets(150 grains) of 777 and a 225 grain Powerbelt bullet.Any other suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is the rifling twist is to fast for the lead bullet and/or the powder charge is to small. Try different powder charges up to the maximum to see what works. Also, try some of the new sabots with the 45 caliber bullets and see if they work. You got a good gun so I don't see it being that but you might have it looked at by someone who is knowledgeable about such firearms.

Bode
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I will agree with Winston on this one.
    My suggestion is to go to 100 grains of powder with the lightest saboted bullet you can find for it. That should help you out. I don't see you having to get up to 150 grains of powder to have it group better.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had a muzzleloader that shot THAT bad it was the scope. The reticle was floating.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 150 grain charge is a MASSIVE load for a .45, and much of the powder will not burn, anyway.
    Try different bullet combos, or, go down to 90, and to 80, and even to 70 grains.
    I have killed lots of deer with 80 grains of powder, out to 80 yards.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My screw up.Using a new powder measure.I was shooting between 20 and 50 grains of powder.