In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Range mistake already

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I went over to the range today on my mountain bicycle to practice some with my new Hawken. Yup, I can carry all my stuff.

Anyway, as soon as I clear the bore with a patch and pop off a few primers. I'm ready to go ... slip the ball on a nice lightly greased patch and start her down the pipe ... Oh no, I forgot the black stuff!

I did have the screw thing but I could not get enough threads with out pliers on my range rod. OK go home to get the pliers and my bicycle tire is flat.

What is that poem that I've got to learn to keep from doing stooopid things? [?]

I hope to be ready by deer hunting time!

Comments

• Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Well, I certainly wouldn't take that finicky bike deer hunting.
    Thanks for the chuckle.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this one.
    Take your brand new $500 Dixie Zouave down to the range. Put in the powder, and start the patched round ball with the short starter.
    Forget to use the ramrod. Put the musket cap in place, and pull the trigger.
    Pooooooofffffff. The ball rolls out the barrel and hits the ground ten feet away. Your barrel is bulged out, and ruined.
    On second thought, don't try this one.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time try this, go ahead and seat the ball then unscrew the nipple and dribble some powder into the hole. This will take a few minutes so be patient. All you are looking for is enough powder to get the ball out of the barrel. There is also a device that uses those little CO2 cylinders to blow the ball out.

Something like that should not be an end to your range session. It's going to happen if you shoot muzzle loaders long enough.

Bode
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great idea, Winston! I'll give that a try next time ... second thought maybe there won't be a next time as I try to learn from my mistakes.

I have seen the CO2 thing done, but I don't want to buy one more BP thing that I will just forget where I put it. Shooting BP is certainly a tinkerers game!

I just put a new super-tough inner-tube on my Mountain Bike! This one will NEVER go flat ... it must be three times as thick as the regulat cheapo inner-tubes!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    at least it was only a bike tire and not the car tire
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may also probably shoot your rod down range at some point.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure hope not ... a rod flying down the range sounds too scary for me!