In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What size is it?

PennyPincherPennyPincher Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
My brother is going to handload 1000 rounds for the 1892, .44-40, take down I won last month. We were both under the impression that it took a .427 bullet. The guy he was ordering the bullets from said most the guys firing this type use a .429 bullet. Anyone know which is correct? Will there be any chambering problems with the .429? Will the accuracy be off with the .427? Thanks a bunch.

Penny

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using lead bullets, and you should be, then .429 is good. I believe that Colt uses .429 for all their .44's. You might experiment with the .427's or maybe .430's. Some revolvers and rifle manufacturers use the .430 diameter for their arms.

Anyway, a good rule of thumb is to use a bullet that is a couple of thousanths larger than your bore diameter.

Bode

P.S. If you want to use round lead balls use the .433 diameter balls and seat them over as much black powder or pyrodex you can get in the case and compress the powder and still be able to crimp the case over the round edge of the ball so it won't fall out.
  • kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start out by slugging the bore; i.e. get a pure lead slug slightly larger than the bore (inexpensive split ball fishing sinkers work nicely, lube it with something like Alox bullet lube, and carefully tap it into the muzzle until it's flush with the crown. Push it back out with a cleaning rod from the breech end and mike the slug. O.D. of the slug will be your true bore diameter; add .001-.002 and that will be the correct bullet size.

The original 44-40 WCF had a nominal bullet dia. of .427 but most modern repros/copies are bored to accept .429-430s.

Bill
  • PennyPincherPennyPincher Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. My brother just told me he tried chambering the .429 and it worked fine. So that's what we'll load. I'm sure he did some other stuff and he shoots Cowboy and checked with a couple of friends. As long as he's confident, I'm confident.

Penny
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Winchester 44-40 takes .430 (cast bullets)
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the old guns have tight chamber necks and will not handle a groove diameter bullet. Use as large a bullet as will chamber FREELY.

My .428" (relined) '92 is snug on .429" bullets even in thin Winchester brass; .428" isn't common, so I buy .427s from a local guy who apparently has a worn lubrisizer die and delivers about .4275".
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't load all 1000 and find they are too tight to chamber or too small and inaccurate. If you can chamber .429 you're likely best off.
    My nephew has a Marlin 44-40 that wont chamber Keith bullets with a band outside the case. The chamber throat or leade was cut for black powder bullets having the major diameter totally within the case.
    Check a few out before you load a big batch.