In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Recommendation on a youth ML rifle

bbaumerbbaumer Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I intend to get my son a muzzleloader for his 11th birthday next month and would like recommendations on a youth model. He is very experienced with many types of firearms including muzzleloaders. Just looking for opinions and suggestions to help me find options that I may have missed.

Thanks,
bbaumer

Comments

• gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    depends on how much you want to send
    a T/C G2 Contender with their 45 cal black powder barrel worked very well for my son , and on the plus side , you can buy other barrels and in 5 minutes switch to a carbine barrel for the regular deer season

here is a link to one that has a 30-30 barrel on it
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78037227
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to more traditional guns, so I can't weigh in regarding the various models of in-line, but Dixie Gun Works catalogs a variety of both percussion and flintlock rifles in calibers ranging from .32 to .50, barrel lengths from 28" to about three feet, with lengths of pull of 13 1/2" or less. Your son's size and personal preferences have everything in the world to do with what'll be right for him.

Finding a model that works for your son, I'd shop around. I do a lot of business with Dixie because of the vast number of parts that they carry for a vast variety of old and new guns, but on currently-made production items, guns included, they're sometimes a little high.

I fear this post will be too late, since "next month" has been with us for over a week, but I hope it still might be of some help.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with mongrel. Get your son a percussion lock rifle from Dixie. Let him start with a traditional style muzzleloader.