In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleaning Tips Needed

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
Need some tips on cleaning black powder pistols. What I usually do is take the cylinder out, remove the nipples and wash every thing with soap and water. Then I blast it all with my compressor to get the water out and then oil everything up liberally. My son took the .44 and he does not have a compressor. For some reason I decide to look at it there was some rust so took it all apart. No major damage. Decided to look at the .32 and, while it was somewhat dirty it did not have the rust issue. How often do you completely disassemble your revolver and any tricks to cleaning so you won't have a rust issue? I know with model airplane engines they will bake them in an oven.

Thanks for the help.

Cary

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After soap and water.
    I drop everything into denatured alcohol and then set them out to dry. the alcohol evaporates any water that might be anywhere. works really good even better if you use the compressor to blow the alcohol off.

I clean'em after everytime i use, as i', sure you do.
    in between i dont worry so much i give'em a good coat of oil and let the dehumidier in the safe do it's thing.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - great Idea to use alcohol - should have thought of that myself. Why these forums are so great.

Cary
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like using the Cabela's black powder cleaner. They even sell it by the gallon if you shoot a lot. Works really well for me.
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me tell you how I did it in my mom's kitchen. After shooting, remove the wood grips. Mine was a Colt .36 cal 1851 Navy. Then I took it all apart and made sure I did not lose any of the little parts. They all went into the kitchen sink with hot water and lots of detergent bubbles. I used a regular rod with a .38 brass brush and a toothpick for the hard to reach areas such as the threads of the nipples, etc. After the bath, I dried them with a paper towel, put the pieces on a cookie sheet and placed them in a 150 degree oven for about 15 mins. When the timer went off I took the pieces out, squirted them with oil and waited for them to cool before getting the oil in the barrel, cylinder etc. and final assembly. The gun was clean, there was no rust, and mom could keep an eye on me.