In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

variflame primer adapters

br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
has anyone tried these in place of a 209 shotgun primer. there suspose to reduce fouling and increase accuracy. thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never tried them, haven't had a need to really. I use Winchester 209's and fowling has never been a problem. Your results may vary...[:)]
  • crb4809crb4809 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the vari-flame adapters. I have not done enough shooting to compare them to just using the 209s. One plus for me is that I have plenty of small rifle primers, so there is a cost savings compared to buying 209s. I have only used Pyrodex RS also so the 777 crud ring has not been an issue. The one problem that I have read about is some rifles are not reliable in igniting the primer. I have a TC Omega and have never had a misfire or hangfire. I was not impressed with the repriming setup for the vari-flames so I made a repriming block that works very well. The adapters themselves seem to be well made and should last for many rounds. This may not have answered your questions but it is all I know about them.
  • mississippi ramblin manmississippi ramblin man Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I've been using the variflame primer adapters for several years now. I am very satisfied with them and I have proved to myself and a few others at the range that they do improve accuracy. These are sold at quite a few places now but are manufactured in Canada by Precision Rifle http://www.prbullet.com/. Check out their bullets too! I agree with Cecil Epps the inventer of the Vari Flame that the 209 shotgun primers are too strong. That the industry went to them because they were convienent for them. See what he has to say on his site. P.S. I use these on my sidelock rifles and shotguns in combination with a product call Mag Spark http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html. They take the place of your nipple and allow you to use 209's. works well with the VariFlame!............Ed