In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Russian in a .44-40 Revolver???

ChessterChesster Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
New here so I will throw out my first off the wall question.
A friend in CAS tells me some shooters shoot .44 Russian ammo in their .44-40 Revolvers. (I guess easier to reload) I have an Uberti with dual cylinders in the .44Spec/.44WCF and know the special cylinder can handle the Russian cart, but, can the 44-40 cylinder fire the Russian cartridge??? How about a rifle in 44-40???

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how severe the risk to life and health is, but it just sounds stupid to me. A .44 Russian is substantially undersize for a .44-40 chamber and if the low pressure didn't split the case, it would sure bulge it and cramming it back through a Russian sizing die would work harden and shorten the life of the brass.

A .44-40 rifle would probably not feed .44 Russian cartridges. There have been some conversions by setting the barrel back and rechambering but I am pretty sure they take work on the lifter, too.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your friend is wrong.
    If you have the 44 Spl cylinder, use it for the straight cartridges.
    The straight cartridge brass will be ruined by firing in the 44-40 chamber and in addition it will be less accurate.
    Being a smaller dia. case, the firing pin may not center enough on the Russian case primer to fire it.